DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I've been having a problem with truck stalling when coming to a stop. It only happens when the truck has not been warmed up. This started happening after changing transmission fluid and seal. Fluid level appears to be correct. I found the following tread with the exact same symptoms. One reply indicated that a band likely needs to be adjusted. Another indicated that it's likely the non oem transmission filter not sealing correctly and that supposedly there is a tsb on the issue. I'm leaning towards the transmission filter as well as it seems as though it wasn't as difficult to push in the new filters as it was to remove old one. Just didn't seem as tight to me. Has anyone heard of either of these theories causing this issue? Also has anyone used the cheap $15 transmission filter from Advanced Auto Parts with success? I believe it was the Driveworks brand one. Any help very appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.*************/f50/engine_dies_when_braking-25572/index3.html

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
If the O ring wasn't removed and/or the new one isn't set 100%, you'll get a pressure bypass and you'll experience issues you have stated.

Installing a transmission plug would be a good thing to install as you pull the pan one more time! :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
original o-ring looked perfect. drained and replaced using a socket after experiencing this issue but problem persists. I've also read a claim that there are two different filters for 4x4 vs 4x2. Not sure which one I got. Thinking about using my oil pump ( that I use for my boat) to temporary remove fluid for reuse, stuff is expensive. Not sure if hose will reach far enough down though, anyone ever tried this?

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Most of the systems I've seen use the transmissions pump to move the fluid using the cooler lines. The DIY'ers just drop the pan. The lucky ones have a drain plug in the pan. A few pull as much as they can from the tube and then drop the pan. So, you might have the right equipment to save the fluid that way.

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
You can do a tube from the dipstick. That is the cleanest way of doing it.

Yes, a 4x4 and a 4x2 are not interchangable.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Just FYI...

Some DT members have had problems with the part store brands and the problem went away when they replaced them with the ones from the factory. If you do all this work and still have problems, you might keep that in mind.

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
nateo
There are differences between a 2wd and a 4x4 as I explained to you on another forum.
4x4 filters have a longer pick up tube neck compared to a 2wd 100% for sure.
If you have put a 2wd on a 4x4 truck, there will be issues.
As said, fitment of a new O ring seal in the correct way is critical.
Get OEM stuff and don't cheap out here as I have never had any issues using those filters on my 03 4x4.
Check for correct fluid transmission levels after all of this. this is critical also to stop issues.
If all this is good, your issue lies elsewhere.
Al.
Al.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
The main issue in the past was always the round spin on trans filter, some in the beginning didn't have a anti drainback valve or a faulty one. The newer part numbers are the corrected filters. They had that TSB and the fixed filters way back in 06 or 07. I would hope that all recent filters aftermarket or not are corrected.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ended up being low on transmission fluid. Didn't realize engine has to be on and in neutral in order to read the level. all is well now. Thought I'd follow up in case it helps someone else out some day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.