Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hi-O Silver, Away!
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'87 D-100
How do I do it? My worthless Haynes manual doesn't cover this. I currently have to lift the handle, then reach up underneath the handle and pull down on the levers in order to lower my tailgate. Bit of a pain in the arse.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
It's been a while since I've taken mine apart, but there are three (?) screws on the inside of the gate that should let the whole handle assembly loose and undo the screws holding the latch assemblies on either end... This'll give you enough room and wiggle to get around the assembly.
Chances are, coming from the handle assembly, there is a rod that goes to each latch assembly. They are held in place on both ends with a clip (Plastic if I remember right, it's been awhile) ... You've probably just got a broken clip... Or one that came loose...
If the handle assembly is actually broke (I'd be surprised, they're about as complicated as a claw hammer ;) ) a few bucks at the junk yard will take care of it. I think you can still buy them new, but I'd have to re-hunt through my list of address's ....

·
Registered
235 Posts
tailgate

bherder said:
It's been a while since I've taken mine apart, but there are three (?) screws on the inside of the gate that should let the whole handle assembly loose and undo the screws holding the latch assemblies on either end... This'll give you enough room and wiggle to get around the assembly.
Chances are, coming from the handle assembly, there is a rod that goes to each latch assembly. They are held in place on both ends with a clip (Plastic if I remember right, it's been awhile) ... You've probably just got a broken clip... Or one that came loose..QUOTE]

Just did mine last week - fairly simple. bherder is correct, a couple of plastic clips ($3 ea) from the dealer should correct what you are describing. There is a description of how to on the ramcharger.com site

·
Hi-O Silver, Away!
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll have to tinker with it once the rain stops. I tried removing those 3 screws before, but only one would come out, despite my best "persuasion".

Thanks,
Jim

·
4,032 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll have to tinker with it once the rain stops. I tried removing those 3 screws before, but only one would come out, despite my best "persuasion".

Well, while you're waiting a little dousing of WD-40 or Liquid Wrench every so often may help .. ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Jimal Temus said:

Thanks,
Jim
One of mine was stuck and I used a chisel - 3 taps and it came loose enough to use the screwdriver. A little work with a file made the nick go away.

·
Hi-O Silver, Away!
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to some Deep Creep and some persuasion with an impact driver, those screws came right out. Nothing wrong with any of the retaining clips, so I gave each rod a little bend in the middle, put everything back together, and BINGO!

I was so excited I went out and purchased new rotors, pads, wheel bearings, and seals, and replaced the front brakes. The pads in there weren't old, but something was causing a pulsation/noise. I think it was more of an issue with the wheel bearings and perhaps the rotors than anything else, but its always a good idea to do everything at once.

Jimal

·
4,032 Posts
Thanks to some Deep Creep and some persuasion with an impact driver, those screws came right out. Nothing wrong with any of the retaining clips, so I gave each rod a little bend in the middle, put everything back together, and BINGO!

YEE-HAW!! Don't you just love fixes that don't COST you anything?? :D

I was so excited I went out and purchased new rotors, pads, wheel bearings, and seals, and replaced the front brakes. The pads in there weren't old, but something was causing a pulsation/noise. I think it was more of an issue with the wheel bearings and perhaps the rotors than anything else, but its always a good idea to do everything at once.

Ahhhh..... Nothing like having brand-new 'everything' when doing a particular job, eh? Just makes ya feel.... Well, warm and fuzzy all over.... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.