DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 dodge ram with a 5.2l auto with 105k miles. I have been fixing a lot of things since I bought it and think I just about have everything fixed. One question. I have been thinking about changing the trans fluid and adjusting the bands while I'm in there. Is this a good idea or should I just let it go make sure to keep it full of fluid? I have heard some people say after they changed the fluid the trans started slipping.

· I'd rather be riding...
607 Posts
Changing fluid should not cause the trans to start slipping unless you use the wrong trans fluid. With only 105K on yours, you shouldn't have any issues with that at all. Change the filter while you are at it and be sure to only use ATF+4 fluid. Adjust the bands according to either the factory service manual if you have it or a Haynes/Chiltons manual. Its pretty straight forward.

· Registered
2 Posts
The only thing i would add is to use caution when changing fluid because the bands in some transmissions get use to the viscosity of the fluid and when it is changed it can cause bands to go bad. You could try draining and filtering the fluid and re-use as an option. With the miles you have i would think though that you'd be okay changing fluid or getting a tranny flush. If I'm not mistaken I believe its about the 125k mark where they advise against flushing the tranny, unless it had been flushed at an earlier time, say like at 60k.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
tactransman said:
If the fluid looks slimy or varnished on the dipstick or anything close to the one in this thread,don't change it!

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144522

This coming spring im planning on adjusting the bands in my trans...

I’ve herd from a few people that say to not back off the adjusting screw as many turns as the manual says... supposedly it gives you a firmer shift with no affect in reliability/ drivability... is this true?

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
Don't go any more than 1 1/2 turns on the front (intermediate) band adjustment.it will give you a little better 1-2 shift. The FSM says to back it off more.

· Registered
124 Posts
tactransman said:
Don't go any more than 1 1/2 turns on the front (intermediate) band adjustment.it will give you a little better 1-2 shift. The FSM says to back it off more.

So, your saying on the intermediate tourque it to... If I remember right its 72ftlbs, and then back off 1 1/2... Would say 1 turn backed off be better than 1 1/2?

For the other band do exactly as the manual says?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

607 Posts
I believe its inch lbs, not foot lbs. Check the manual for torque settings. You don't want to over torque things, especially in the transmission.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
I have been too worried about screwing something up to adjust the bands on mine, plus it's got 116 on it with no adjustment ever done so I don't know if it would do more harm then good.

I do change the fluid & filter religiously though, ATF +4 every 25-35,000 miles.

607 Posts
I adjusted the bands on my old Ram that had 150k+ on it at the time and had no issues. If you don't feel confident doing it yourself, have a reputable shop do it. I need to have it done on my 1999 still. Its just about to turn 122k.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.