DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to put mobile video in my truck. The only thing left to pick out is the DVD player. I had planned on putting one in the dash cubby. The cubby is only 5" deep so I was going to hollow out the back of it.

Well, I took the dash bezel off today only to learn that the dash cubby butts right up agains the back of the dash. There's this little nub that sticks out about an inch~ and I don't know if I can hack it off or not? I can barely feel the back of it, but it feels like something might be plugged into it?

Anyone know a way around my problem? Even though it's mainly for the rear passengers I wanted me and the front passenger to have access to it especially seeing as though the one I was looking at had a TV tuner as well.

A headunit that plays DVD's is not an option.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

·
derekrf
385 Posts
Hollowing out that section of dash looks like a huge ordeal.

I would buy a separate DVD player, and also a separate screen. You could always put the dvd player in the glove box, under the seat or in the armrest/console. Than mount the remote screen either in the dash, in a custom overhead console or get some of those visor screens.

Good luck!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The DVD player and the screens are going to be separate. 1 screen in each headrest, and one screen in the visor. But I still want the actual player within my reach.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
boosted2300 said:
Why not mount it in the center console? Just a thought...
Center console is already spoken for. I'm putting a computer in there to for GPS, MP3's, etc...

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I also found a stand alone player for DVD's, MP3's, etc. It's half-DIN sized, and I thought it would fit perfectly in the cubby while AUX-ing it to the head unit.

Not going to happen just yet (funds need to go to deer repair this month and next), but I'll keep tabs on what's going on, and give any info I find while checking this idea out for myself.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the only way I'm going to get it in the dash is to buy an aftermarket head unit and a 1/2 DIN DVD player and put them in the same location.

Even at that I'm not certain I can get them both in there???

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wow, you have it easy.....yours is all plastic. I had to plasma mine out. If yours is anything like the 02's there is nothing behind there. Just cut a hole the size you need. Take another picture a little less zoomed so I can see f its the same spot.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I do recall a meber that posted some pics of his setup a while back. He had a standard din headunit dvd player mounted in place of the cubby hole. He still used his factory system as his primary headunit, the dvd headunit was for passengers only.

It was hooked up to a wireless earphone system so the back passengers used the ear phones. They could control that unit using the wireless remote out back. They could listen to their own music (FM stations/CD) or watch a movie (DVD) and control it all themselves. Seemed like a pretty novel idea. Especially since the guy bought the unit off Ebay for pretty cheap, like under $350 I think.

KB

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's another pic from a little further back.

I believe the '02's and even some of the very early '03's are different, but I'm not 100% positive.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Nope they are the same, only the plastic doesnt completely cover where the 2 screws are. Go ahead and dremel out the room you need. There is nothing behind there. Several members have cut theirs out. Those screws hold absolutely nothing. I was trying to figure out why they were there, other than maybe to help secure the dash in place. Cut out all the area in the attached picture, and it makes a nice DIN slot for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
spharis said:
Nope they are the same, only the plastic doesnt completely cover where the 2 screws are. Go ahead and dremel out the room you need. There is nothing behind there. Several members have cut theirs out. Those screws hold absolutely nothing. I was trying to figure out why they were there, other than maybe to help secure the dash in place. Cut out all the area in the attached picture, and it makes a nice DIN slot for you.
Well there feels like there is something plugged into the back side of that littel nubby that sticks out. Otherwise I can't figure out why they made it protrude like that?

If it didn't look like a huge PITA to take the dash apart I'd look for myself. Looks like there's a lot to it though?

Here's a pic of an early '03 dash. I know it's different than mine, and I'm sure it's different than most everyone here. I don't know if the back of the dash is any different though?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I had that nubby and there was nothing back there. Double check before you cut just to be sure. I think the dash slot kind of rested on it. You can reach your hand in there pretty good from the bottom of the dash just to be sure. There is metal that mirrors the plastic behind there and it doesnt have the nub in it, just the plastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.