DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am wanting to add an aftermarket Engine Oil Temperature gauge, and of course am looking for the "easy / smart" place to install the sending unit.

Engine is 1998 "Magnum" 5.9L Gasoline, factory stocko. I have seen some diagrams that put the oil PRESSURE switch back by the distributor, and other diagrams that put it up front near water pump land. Could possibly put a "Tee" fitting on one of those, but would that really provide a valid TEMPERATURE indication ?

There is probably something obvious I have missed, did try searching around the forum before posting this, I probably didn't use a proper name / keyword and have missed something real DUH.Obvious ... if so, my apologies.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thoughts, and the link ... makes good enough sense.

Can't help but wonder, if there is a happy little fitting that will let me stick it in the oil drain plug opening ... there is plenty of steel in front of it, hanging lower, in the form of a chassis cross-member where the sensor and connection would be protected ...

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Had an oil temp sensor on the drain plug for one of my cars and it worked well but there were problems. There was always oil on the wire and connection. Like you said, the wire would would get caught on something and pulled off. When that happen, it would break the sensor. I finally put the sensor on the pan and never had a problem again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, I received one suggestion to consider an "oil filter sandwich adapter" which apparently can be used for sensors and/or remote oil coolers.

I do see the brute logic in just doing it right and having a fitting welded into the pan, or seeing if a pan that has this exists (common for transmission pans, maybe less so for engine oil pans ??)

I haven't welded are darn thing in like forty years, but I'll bet my mechanic laughs at me when he shows me how trivial this really is for him.

As I just put in a fresh batch of Synthetic Oil all of a couple hundred miles ago, I will probably defer this install until an appropriate time ...

But, Thank You again for the suggestions, and to the many people who paused to give this a read.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The oil filter adapter/samwich has worked well for me for many years...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.