DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point I'm going to add some driving lights to this truck as the stock brights are a little lame. I often drive a rural 2 lane road to the cabin with more deer and elk on the road than people. I love the behind the grill location that was done by a couple people on here. Question is will adding two 100 watt lights tax the stock elec. system too much? I want to make sure that the lights are bright enough to make the project worth it. Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
I run 4 Hella 500's with 100 watt bulbs in them and it is very bright, however, I usually only have them on for 5-10 mins at a time. I use them going to deer camp but only from the interstate to camp which isn't far, and the occasional on/off here and there to look at deer near my house or deal with inconsiderate drivers :)

I haven't noticed any electrical problems but if you are planning on running them longer might become an issue, I really don't know.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have 130W behind the grill and had them on for over an hour spotting deer at camp. No issues with the battery or power and my grill insert wasn't even warm from the heat

·
Texas RAM Dude
3,643 Posts
You should not use the wiring kit that comes with most lights. It is far too small of a gauge to handle that much wattage. I upgraded the relays and the wiring when I did mine. I think I used either 14 or 16 gauge. It's better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, new lights coming soon!

·
Registered
159 Posts
You should not use the wiring kit that comes with most lights. It is far too small of a gauge to handle that much wattage. I upgraded the relays and the wiring when I did mine. I think I used either 14 or 16 gauge. It's better to be safe than sorry.
X2 depending on the lights you get, a lot of the time the wires are too small for brighter bulbs. like he said, better safe than sorry

I have 2 hellas with 100 watt bulbs and it produces a lot of light, havent noticed any problems with them

·
Registered
555 Posts
come to think of it, I upgraded the wires as well

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone running these behind a "honeycomb Grill"? I do not have the slotted grill, but would like to run a couple lights behind the one I have....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
it really depends on how long you are going to run them, 100 watt bulbs use a tremendous amount of AMPS, the wiring usually fairs out well its the dimmer switch that takes the abuse if you just replace bulbs on your truck, I have repaired lots of trucks that just swapped out the bulbsby installing a new dimmer ,turn signal switch, to be safe and the easy way , ust the existing wires for your fog lights and wire them to a solenoid, on the small pins(coil), use the large posts on the solenoid to come from the battery, one comes from the battery and the other goes to the NEW lights them selves, with decent wire , and a fuse next to the battery,, at least 10 guage. you will not have any trouble with that set up , since the trucks electrical system thinks the fog lights are still on the truck ,but the amount of current to the coil will be REALLY small.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.