DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to be putting a ProCharger on my truck, and I really don't want to have the 1 tire fire anymore. I want to put a LSD in it, and was thinking of going with The Auburn LSD. Any opinions on this unit?

Also, I was thinking while I'm in there, I could swap gears :D However, I have a 4wd, and I would have to do both 'rears' with the gear swap, correct? Yea, I know I'm an idiot, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also, if I put an LSD in the rear-rear, would I have to put it in the front-rear?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, probably should have proof read it. I did sound like an idiot :thatfunny

If I were to put 4.10's in the rear end of my 4wd truck, would I have to put the same gears in the front end?

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
yes

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
Look for a package deal like those at the AIR_RAM and Moe's web sites. When I got my R&P package, I did so with the DTT locker and the front/rear complete install kits. AIR_RAM and Moe's both have good prices but AIR_RAM has free shipping.

:)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Gear swaps are not a easy task. This is one of the few things where i say leave it to the experts. To do it yourself you are gonna need some expensive tools...As for the Auburn LSD I love mine!

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
hey does anybody know where i could find a DIY for the 9.25 rear end or any helpful info?im about to order my 4.56 gears and i will be doing the install myself....
Unless you have the tools-n-skills, I wouldn't even think of taking on this job. Your setup has to be almost prefect to do the job right. Folks with years of turning wenches have tried and smoked the axle. Doing repairs on an axle that’s already broken-in is not that hard but a new setup is critical. I have 12-years of turning wenches, I have the tools and skills to do the job, and I’ve done dozens of axles but I'm still taking my truck to a transmission man to have my new R&P/DTT installed.

:teacher:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
hey does anybody know where i could find a DIY for the 9.25 rear end or any helpful info?im about to order my 4.56 gears and i will be doing the install myself....
I am not questioning your ability, but I would highly encourage having someone doing it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thats what i want to do but i just cant afford it. around here im looking at around 500 just for the rear...what im doing is buying the rear for now and im going to remove the front drive shaft so if it gets nocked in 4wd it wont hurt nothing i hate to do it like that but:dunno:...but what i do know is that the pinon has to be dead center with the gear and i would have to pull the c clips to slide the axles out... then i pull the guts??? to get to the pinion but what i dont under stand is how to set the preload or if i will have to even mess with that...thats where im lost... but i am mechanically incline thanks for the replys

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
Thats what i want to do but i just cant afford it.
If you are set on doing this job yourself, you can find the information on the web. I did a Google search on the subject of "rear axle rebuild". On the first page of the search there are DVD's and web sites that will show you how to do the job. One web site was even for the 9.25 Dodge rear-axles. But I can't stress to you how hard this job is for a first timer. IF you had someone looking over your shoulder while you were working; IF that person was checking your work as you proceeded; then MAYBE you could get it right the first time but I do not know of anyone who has on their first job. And if you mess-up, it will smoke and damage the whole rear-axle to the point that it will be scrap metal. Then, you’ll be in the market for a used rear-axle that’s questionable at best and how long will the used axle last before it needs to be completely rebuilt? A used rear-axle will cost you about the same as the cost of the labor for the R&P work. Come to your senses and be smart. Save your money and have the job done right the first time. There’s a reason why the labor is high; it’s very difficult job.

:whackit:

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
If you have to ask "how hard is it" or "Are there any tips" or anything close to that you should pay to have them installed. I have seen guys who have 30 years experience mess up the Chrysler 9.25 2-3 times in a row on the same vehicle. They call me up wondering why and or what they are doing wrong... If a person who intimately knows REAR ENDS has trouble setting up a Chrysler 9.25 then you should not attempt it as a first time build. Thats my opinion... I personally have built ENGINES, TRANSMISSIONS and complete suspensions... but I have yet to tackle an axle... I leave that to the pros.. Because they are expensive when they go bad and they go bad quick.

Im the first person to suggest to a customer that he/she is capable of installing a mod on their own... but not in this case...if you have to ask then you should not be doing it.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish, save money until you can get a good gear guy to do the job. This is one job where experience is everything.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've done a couple rears (GM 10 and 12 bolt, ford 8") and so far none have smoked. They're alot of work to do and $500 isn't a bad deal if you get the piece of mind that it's done right and warranted if it smokes.

The biggest thing you need is patience to do this. It will take a few hours especially if you don't have all the tools and need to get bearings pressed on and off or you don't have a pinion depth tool.

You can do this yourself, but you have to understand that there are pros out there that won't do it. There is alot that can go wrong and it can cost you alot more money then you save by doing it yourself.

How dependent are you on the truck? If it's your daily driver, then you're nuts to try it yourself IMO...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just wanted to throw it in there that if you don't use your 4wd, you can take out the front driveshaft and just do the rear gears. The front gears usually cost x1.75 more than the rears because the parts are more expensive and harder to do. I guess it's because of the IFS. I only did my rear for now, because I was contemplating a solid axel swap with a Dana 44 I pulled out of a second gen. ram. Just wanted to throw that out there though. I can go almost anywhere I could before with my new LSD, because you are like I was, when in "4wd" you had one front tire spinning (front left in drive) and the back right tire spinning. It would be the opposite in reverse.

·
Registered
154 Posts
hey Thanks im goin to take you guys advice and just save a lil more money then have it done right the first time...i just got TO happy when i seen that i had the money to spare thanks for stopping me before i would have been with out my truck....:tup:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Good decision, weather is still shitty anyhow.:tup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.