DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know if adding an extra leaf spring on my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2l ext cab long bed. How much more can I tow/haul? Exc

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Helpful to mention if tow setup is, or will be for new/bigger trailer; 5th wheel, goose neck, or bumper/trailing type hitch.
... Might inspect rear springs closely, both of my long cabs with short boxes had broken rr springs.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
The stiffer add-a-leafs will allow you to put a heavier load on the hitch without squatting, but not as effectively as bags. And being a 1/2 ton with a 5.2, you'll have to really watch how much weight you're dragging around. I don't think I'd try more than 10-12k on a gooseneck, especially with the stock automatic. And you'll have to make sure it's well balanced to keep the extra weight from the newer/bigger trailer off the tongue.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
dont bother with a short add a leaf. the good ones are 44inches to 48 long.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Upgrade to a 2500/3500 truck! :D I doubt that the op reads this anyway since his last post was the 15'th of last year.

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
Upgrade to a 2500/3500 truck! :D I doubt that the op reads this anyway since his last post was the 15'th of last year.
That is the better option lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.