DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the AC reset tests several times and they don't work to clear the blinking lights. My van is currently at the shop waiting for parts to replace the AC Compressor (frozen clutch and bad bearings on the pulley) for the THIRD time in less than 20 months... NOT GOOD! And the lights are still blinking.

At least AutoZone has replaced the bad compressors for free since they failed in less than a single season but still... the labor and recharge costs are killing me.

Background: The lights on the control unit blink for 15 minutes and then go out if I am driving long enough. If the AC was on before I shut it off, the light stays on once it goes past the 15 min mark... or stays off if the AC was not on. Right now, since the winter is here the AC is needed for the defroster and so I don't know if it's stays on or not when the van is turned on and off for short trips less than 15 min in length.

Could the head unit be sending bad signals to the AC compressor to engage the clutch at random times when it shouldn't be???? I've changed the compressor several times, the battery and leads are fine, and now I think it's down to the head unit... where can I buy a new, used, or rebuilt unit?

Thanks for any and all comments.

Chris :help:

- 97 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L V6
-- Dual zone climate controls on the head unit

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New developments...

I have since received the AC compressor and a new "used" ac control unit for the dash but when I installed the new dash controls and turned the ignition on to check... the lights STILL blinked at me as if nothing had changed.

Now that I have replaced the accumulator, ac compressor and the head unit... what is the next step? I will try to re-run the controller test once I have the van back from the mechanic but indications now seem to say that something ELSE was wrong and not the controller in the dash.

What else in the ac system could be causing the lights to blink if it isn't the head unit, compressor or accumulator?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

·
Slowrider
52 Posts
I think the 15 minute mark is the key here. The system calibration and cooldown procedure can be aborted by cycling the key off and on; the c&c will then abort at the 15 minute mark from the time it was initiated. So, my thoughts are that the system is stuck trying to do the test or complete the test. Try pressing the Rear window defrost, recirculation, and rear wiper buttons all at once and see if the lights go out. If I remember, a control change out requires a reset.

As for the third time on comp, etc., I would guess that there may be a pulley alignment issue. Not a lot of space to check this, but would try with a straight edge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.