DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there, I am new here a friend recomended that I use this forum to help me with my truck problem.
My ABS and emergency brake warning light just came on on the dash and my brake lights are on all the time now. Right now the only way for me to turn off my brake lights is to take out the fuse or else they would stay on even after I take the key out! Its a Dodge Dakota club cab truck, 1998, and I just hit the 100 thousnd mark. Actually I hit the thousand mark about two days ago and its funny how the warning lights came on right afterwards.

I know the lights come on only when there's something wrong. I have a Haynes repair manual but it does'nt say anything about what to check when these light come on.
Any suggestions on what could be causing it? and what should I check? I would hate to take the truck into the shop for something that I can easly fix.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Very, very, very, very, very common. It's likely the ABS/ speed sensor on to of the rear differential. Dealer only part and easy to replace youself. Do a search.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
Just did mine a few months ago, its a good shadetree mechanic project. Probably should get about 4 people and a case of bud light, that way you can make it go way longer than the 20 minutes it took me. Definately sounds like the rear speed sensor, common part, almost considered maintenance as frequently as it ends up being replaced on vehicles. It sits on top of your rear differential housing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks guys,
but I found the problem. It was the brake light switch, the one that the brake peddle hits to turn on the brake lights. Well it came loose and the little plastic switch must of lost its spring. 20 bucks to buy at Kragen and 5 minutes to install. Not bad!!!

thanks guys

·
Registered
403 Posts
The speed sensor also causes the speedo to not work below approx. 30mph,something to keep in mind for future reference .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the info...i ran into this problem yesterday and found the info on this forum to be very helpful in replacing the speed sensor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems that I have the same problem since yesterday and I will try to fix it my self. Since I'm not realy a technical minded person your answer leaves a coupe of questins. Could you be more specific in how to replace it? Is there any manual I could use to assist me? Does the dealer needs to reset the computer?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear Speed Sensor

Just did mine a few months ago, its a good shadetree mechanic project. Probably should get about 4 people and a case of bud light, that way you can make it go way longer than the 20 minutes it took me. Definately sounds like the rear speed sensor, common part, almost considered maintenance as frequently as it ends up being replaced on vehicles. It sits on top of your rear differential housing
Well, Changed the rear speed sensor. The ABS and Brake light went out. Now Speedometer dosnt work at all. Then drove about 20 miles and now the check engine light is on all of a sudden.

Any Ideas. I am lost now.

1998 Dodge Dakota Sport

·
Registered
30 Posts
:drivingz: I just bought a 99 dakota and as soon as I got it home the abs and park break lights are on. Also the seedo dosent work below 25mph. So what your telling me is if I just replace the sensor everything should clear up on its own, right?
Thanks, :drivingz:

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Yes, it's very, very, very common. Do a seaech on rear speed sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, starter went out. did not have the time to wrench it myself so I took my 1998 Dakota Sport to a friend who owns a shop. Had him change the starter and check on why the speedo quit, and check engine light was on. He found that the rear speed sensor that I had replaced was turned a couple of degrees and he said that is what made it stop. He said the sensor has to be lined up perfect.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Aspeed sensor wont keep the brake lights on when the key is off. Read the first post again. Brake light switch will :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had the ABS light come on and took it to the shop where a friend works. I found out that the brake sensor on the front was probably dirty and would be a good place to start. I took it to a do it your self car wash and sprayed the crap out of the front. Fixed the problem. Try that first, it may be an easy and cheap way to avoid repair costs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
:gr_patrio i just now got around to changing my abs sensor. it fixed my problem. the only trouble i had was when i removed it, it broke. i fished most of it out and installed the new one which was also hard to instal. it just didnt want to go in the hole. but anyway thanks for the help. its nice to not see those stupid lights on when i drive now.
thanks,
english bull :bman:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.