DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was on my way home from work, and all of a sudden traffic comes to a stop. Turns out there wsa a four car pile-up( i live in socal it happens every day). And at the end of it was a 1500 ram. looked farley new like 2003 or so. The first thing i noticed was the four separate tires marks coming from the wheels of the ram. I thought all these things had abs. If so then how could that have possibly happened.

·
I'm Not A Post Whore! :(
5,089 Posts
I've had my rear wheels lock up in less than desirable conditions and my ass end swing out sideways under heavy braking in my truck

could be due to my 38's, but lemme tell you it's an experience that's not always fun, but what a rush

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
was just currious. this guy had 17" rims and stock tires ans these were four distinct long ass tread marks. Sucks for that guy. the whole front end was demolished

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Mine is rear wheels only and I've had the rears lock up on dry pavement.

dodgefan360 - That pulsing is you ABS working. Why would you disconnect it? Working ABS will stop you faster than you could stop with manual brakes.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I feel that pulse atleast 3-4 times a week. Love that city traffic.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
Don Ram - All ABS vehicles I've used, I've hated. I bought one because I can't get a 'good' vehicle now a days without it. In some conditions it makes the D take forever to stop. My non-ABS vehicles can stop in half the distance with worse tires, almost the same weight, and they give me a more sure footed feeling on frozen roads. Snow conditions it rarely pulsates which is a plus! Slush/icy roads it's a nightmare. It pulsates when I don't expect it to and if only one wheel pulsates the vehicle will pull a bit to that side of the road! It then enables me to push harder on the brakes to stop on time, where as my non-ABS vehicles are a lot more predictable.
Besides, It's just another thing to break, so I don't think I'll give it that chance.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
DonRam said:
Mine is rear wheels only and I've had the rears lock up on dry pavement.

dodgefan360 - That pulsing is you ABS working. Why would you disconnect it? Working ABS will stop you faster than you could stop with manual brakes.

I forgot to add to my last post that on at least 50% of all vehiclesABS actually takes you LONGER to stop as the brakes pulse instead of braking 100% of the time. High performance vehicles will benefit from ABS as the driver will have a more tendancy to swerve, than say, someone driving a truck.

ABS will give you added peace of mind if you never pay attention to traffic, or perhaps by that one in 17,328,690 chance (each time a vehicles passes by you) that an oncoming vehicle will hit you before you're able to react. The odds are even greater that someone's child (or adult) will run around a parked car without looking. I have swerved once just to test the D's cornering ability if I ever need use it. ABS kicked in once on dry roads, for a few seconds before I let off on the brake pedal. On dry roads I don't mind the ABS, but in the winter, I'm going to pull the fuse.

I have a dash mounted digital camera. If someone cuts me off at the last minute I'll intoduce them to my bumper and they'll get charged, and I'll get a free paint job. Happened with my Taurus in '01. The oriental folks that get their license overseas, then move/visit to Canada, are not trained to check their blind spots, so they just turn, and hope for the best! Damn I love this country.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
dodgefan360 said:
I forgot to add to my last post that on at least 50% of all vehiclesABS actually takes you LONGER to stop as the brakes pulse instead of braking 100% of the time. .
I found the opposite to be true, but my ABS experience has been with GM and Ford vehicles. I know early ABS systems had problems because if 1 wheel slipped the system would relieve pressure from all 4 wheels, even though 3 may have good traction. Those older systems may account for the 50% your talking about.

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
I have used the ABS on my truck and it probably helped me avoid hitting and killing a passenger on a Honda Civic that cut left and stopped in front of me. The ABS allowed me to be able to steer out of the way without locking my brakes. Without ABS, I am sure I would have locked the brakes up and creamed it. Besides ABS will help you stay in a straight line if you had to hammer the brakes. My truck is the first vehicle I have ever owned that had full ABS and even though the pulsing was alittle annoying, I am completely sold on it. There is no way I would ever disconnect it.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
dodgefan360 said:
I forgot to add to my last post that on at least 50% of all vehiclesABS actually takes you LONGER to stop as the brakes pulse instead of braking 100% of the time. High performance vehicles will benefit from ABS as the driver will have a more tendancy to swerve, than say, someone driving a truck.

ABS will give you added peace of mind if you never pay attention to traffic, or perhaps by that one in 17,328,690 chance (each time a vehicles passes by you) that an oncoming vehicle will hit you before you're able to react. The odds are even greater that someone's child (or adult) will run around a parked car without looking. I have swerved once just to test the D's cornering ability if I ever need use it. ABS kicked in once on dry roads, for a few seconds before I let off on the brake pedal. On dry roads I don't mind the ABS, but in the winter, I'm going to pull the fuse.

I have a dash mounted digital camera. If someone cuts me off at the last minute I'll intoduce them to my bumper and they'll get charged, and I'll get a free paint job. Happened with my Taurus in '01. The oriental folks that get their license overseas, then move/visit to Canada, are not trained to check their blind spots, so they just turn, and hope for the best! Damn I love this country.
When I was stationed in Korea, we had to go through an additional class to learn the differences in driving styles. For starters, they have this strange notion that if they don't look at you, they don't acknowledge you, and therefore can begin to merge into your lane. So they don't look on purpose, just assuming that you will give way. A good tap to the horn can cure the "supposed" empty spot they are trying to occupy.
There are others, like painted lines being more "suggestions" as opposed to rules, and stopping at a redlight, looking both ways, and taking off if no one is coming. I saw some weird crap there, and understand why they get horns blown at them all the time here in North America, lol.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
patriotbluehemi said:
I have used the ABS on my truck and it probably helped me avoid hitting and killing a passenger on a Honda Civic that cut left and stopped in front of me. The ABS allowed me to be able to steer out of the way without locking my brakes. Without ABS, I am sure I would have locked the brakes up and creamed it. Besides ABS will help you stay in a straight line if you had to hammer the brakes. My truck is the first vehicle I have ever owned that had full ABS and even though the pulsing was alittle annoying, I am completely sold on it. There is no way I would ever disconnect it.
I've had a number of vehicles with ABS. The two that I've had the fortune (or is it misfortune?) to try out, are this Ram, and a '93 Lincoln Mark VIII I had a few years back. Both of them worked exactly as they were advertised. Panic-stopping from 100+ on the Autobahn is a sphincter tightener for sure, but that pulsing brake pedal is what let me run through the grass in the median without spinning like a top. I'm sold on ABS.

Hey, on a semi-related note. Someone said in a thread they had a problem keeping the rear wheels hooked up. I just put new tires on (I thought it may have been due to my bald-assed, peice-of-junk, noGoodYears), and STILL light them up from a stop....whups:D

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
kruser79 said:
When I was stationed in Korea, we had to go through an additional class to learn the differences in driving styles. For starters, they have this strange notion that if they don't look at you, they don't acknowledge you, and therefore can begin to merge into your lane. So they don't look on purpose, just assuming that you will give way. A good tap to the horn can cure the "supposed" empty spot they are trying to occupy.
There are others, like painted lines being more "suggestions" as opposed to rules, and stopping at a redlight, looking both ways, and taking off if no one is coming. I saw some weird crap there, and understand why they get horns blown at them all the time here in North America, lol.
Yeah if they want to squeeze in there they'll get in. 90% don't signal either, just lazy I suppose. Cops won't pull them over (not signalling is 2 demerit points on the license - no fine) because the cops know they'll have to phone a translator so they can talk to them in regards to their violation. It's ridiculous. In my area the cops rarely pull anyone over. Ever since they changed their name from "Waterloo Region Police Force" to "Waterloo Region Police Service", they've gotten real lazy. I friend of mine that's in the 'service' said they hired a 112lb 5'3" lady, and all she does when she runs into trouble is call for backup and wait for it to arrive! Ugh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.