DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 1500 4x4. The abs and brake lights both came on. brakes sink but build up after 2-3 pumps. fluid is good, I checked under truck and behind each wheel and there no leaks or in the lines. the fluid has not been low. less than 1 year ago, I changed the rear ABS sensor on the rear end cuz the speedometer wasn't registering until it hit 30 mph so it shouldn't be that. I read to brake while in reverse to reset the back brakes; that did not work and to press the brakes while the engine is off as that may indicate a master cylinder going out; the brakes started going down but built up normal pressure after 2-3 pumps. Just like when the truck is running. Any input is appreciated as I respect the collective knowledge on this site.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
When the abs and brake light come on it's telling you there was a malfunction in the abs system. There is a procedure to get the abs fault and you cant use the obd2 port (depending on year).
brakes sink but build up after 2-3 pumps.
If they sink when you hold pressure on the pedal it's time for a new master cylinder. Also the rear brake line next to the gas tank rust out and spring leaks. But you said you are not loosing fluid so that's not your issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your quick replies. That gives me some real info. Now I know what else to start looking at. I appreciate that and will get right on it. I'm sure I'll have another question a long the way... thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.