DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the ABS speed sensor on the rear axle. May be a problem with the sensor itself or a problem with the wiring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
abs

My sensor just went out on my durango with 126K. it cost 40 dollars at the dealer. I have a Matco scanner that reads all codes and raw data MD-1005. So I knew for sure.

Jason

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
Hey Jason -

What year is your Durango? Is there any way to read codes without hooking up a code reader? I've got a '98 van with a 5.9. The manual says to hook up a reader, but if there is another way I would like to know how. I thought I've heard some one say turn the ignition on and off 3 times or something like that. I've got a 92 Metro (don't laugh :WHT: ) and its got a empty slot in the fuse box. Just plug in a spare fuse and turn on the ignition and the check engine light will flash any codes. Simple and free. I'm hopeing Dodge did something similarly clever, and I just haven't discovered it yet.

Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem.
Drop the $45 for the rear speed sensor. I had to go to the dealer for it, but they had it in stock. Takes about 20 minutes to replace (be careful not to break the guard off when removing)
You may also get an engine light after you replace it. Just unhook the battery and let sit for about 5 mins and then reconnect the battery (NEG terminal first) and that should reset everything.

·
Registered
590 Posts
sensor on top of the rear diff. dealeronly part AFAIK... $35-45 takes a couple hours depending on if ya got a lift or not.

·
Registered
552 Posts
for future reference apparently doing burnouts damages the sensor. but how else do you get rid of old tires.

·
Registered
136 Posts
svandergrifft said:
I had the same problem.
Drop the $45 for the rear speed sensor. I had to go to the dealer for it, but they had it in stock. Takes about 20 minutes to replace (be careful not to break the guard off when removing)
You may also get an engine light after you replace it. Just unhook the battery and let sit for about 5 mins and then reconnect the battery (NEG terminal first) and that should reset everything.

For future reference, negative is first off, last on. u got it the other way around :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
svandergrifft said:
I had the same problem.

heres a easier way to reser ECM:

pull the connector closest to the firewall. that way ya dont clear the radio as well..

·
360 MAGNUM HeadBanger
6 Posts
A good sensor will read about 1.2 - 1.5 K ohm on a multimeter - mine went open at about 40K miles. Also usualy the speedo will not work untill 20 mph

Dog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.