Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang
got a 1996 ram
does anyone know what the problem might be as to why all of a sudden my ABS and parklight is stayin on :help:

·
Registered
302 Posts
When you say parking light to,Do you mean the red brake lite? If so and the brakes feel good, Then it's most likey the rearwheel speedsensor mounted on top of the rearend.Fiftydollar part

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
Yep wral or speed sensor!

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
Sorry my bad it's actually RWAL Rear Wheel Anti Lock. The RWAL system has a switch that monitors break fluid pressure between your front brake's and your rear.RWAL came standard on all trucks with ABS as on option. Sorry didn't mean to confuse you. It's probably your rear speed sensor if you only have RWAL if you have ABS then you will also have a front speed sensor that when bad will also cause the same problem..

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This happened to me a while back. Parked in a lot with no lights on, came back and hour or two later and those lights came on. Mechanic said someone may have bumper into the wheel?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
wow, thats a bummer.

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
No doubt, I hope you took the sensor back? I would. I just replaced the brake light switch myself but my lights didnt come on, the brake lights just didnt work. Gotta love Dodges!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well here is the scoop
I went to chrysler to get the sencor for the rearend and at the tune of 112.00 the dam ABS and park light is still on. Im pulling my hair out and I don,t wanna be buying part after part to find out it was a 2.50 part. So can anybody make my life a little eazier on my pocket book :giveup::shots::banghead:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry my bad it's actually RWAL Rear Wheel Anti Lock. The RWAL system has a switch that monitors break fluid pressure between your front brake's and your rear.RWAL came standard on all trucks with ABS as on option. Sorry didn't mean to confuse you. It's probably your rear speed sensor if you only have RWAL if you have ABS then you will also have a front speed sensor that when bad will also cause the same problem..
And were would this front sensor be???

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
Well here is the scoop
I went to chrysler to get the sencor for the rearend and at the tune of 112.00 the dam ABS and park light is still on. Im pulling my hair out and I don,t wanna be buying part after part to find out it was a 2.50 part. So can anybody make my life a little eazier on my pocket book :giveup::shots::banghead:
OK here is what I did. First I didn't go to the stealership! I bought a new one from O-Rileys and I asked them if I could return it if it didn't fix my problem and they said sure. It turned out it did fix my dash lights so I dint take it back. Do you have 4 wheel ABS? If so there are 2 more sensors located in the front of your truck. Also like Wayne said it was his brake pedal switch. Either way make sure you can return the part if it doesn't fix the problem.You can also just have your codes pulled to tell you what's wrong.

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
And were would this front sensor be???
They are attached to the back side of the brake backing plate or splash shield. The ABS system stores codes if something goes wrong. Insted of trying to figure out what part it is you might just want to take your truck to someone that can pull the codes for cheap or free.It could be a number of things causing your problem. Call around maybe an auto parts store can pull them for free?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well here is the scoop
Did you reset the computer (by unhooking the battery) after you replaced the sensor?

I had the exact same problem as you in my '98. I replaced the rear ABS sensor in the diff, reset the computer, and both the lights went away. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you reset the computer (by unhooking the battery) after you replaced the sensor?

I had the exact same problem as you in my '98. I replaced the rear ABS sensor in the diff, reset the computer, and both the lights went away. Just a suggestion.
Yes I did this and the lights are still on

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok to bring you all up to date

I now have gone and had the truck computer scanned for codes and NOTHING. Battery un hooked and re hooked and dam light still on . My truck only has the rear wheel abs sensor and it has been changed , brake light switch under dash is good no broken wires from diff to harness so my next step is to unplug the idiot lights from the dash

·
Driven to perfection
862 Posts
Ok to bring you all up to date

I now have gone and had the truck computer scanned for codes and NOTHING. Battery un hooked and re hooked and dam light still on . My truck only has the rear wheel abs sensor and it has been changed , brake light switch under dash is good no broken wires from diff to harness so my next step is to unplug the idiot lights from the dash
Did they pull the brake codes? The reason I ask is because Aoto Zone couldnt pull brake codes. I had to either take it to the dealer or Midas if I wanted the brake codes pulled. I didnt because I just replaced the rear sensor and it fixed my problem. How do you know your brake pedal switch is OK? Did you test it? Keep in mind if you unplug your lights you wont know if something does go bad!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You really cant tell if its the brake switch but its only 10 bucks and very easy to replace. It worked for me and my brake light and air bag light dont come on anymore. this is the second time I have had to replace the switch on different trucks. Its very common.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.