DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i had a wheel cylinder go out on me in traffic a while back, was pretty exciting lol i was next to my buddy he drives a 1992 F-150 on 9inches of lift and we were coming home from school and there was a red light up ahead i hit the brakes pedal went to the floor and i kept on going :SPIN: needless to say my buddy called my cell and goes "Guess red doesn't mean stop for you?" then i let em know my brakes went out. Anyway though the lights have been on for about 2months and i haven;t worried about them but does anyone know how to clear them? I did both wheel cylinders and rear drums after the event so i know everything is good now just the lights haven't gone away and my shop teacher said the dealer has to reset it probably.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had both wheel cylinders changed recently and as soon as it was done I was driving for about a week and both abs and brake light were on, eventho the truck drove and stopped fine. So i changed the abs sensor that goes ontop of the rear diff. Drove it for another 3-4 days or so with both lights still on then out of nowhere they both went out and my problem was solved.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You might still have some air in the brake system, try bleeding it again and see if that helps.

It could also be the ABS/Speedo sensor on top of the diff housing but seeing as you just replaced the damaged cylinders I'd suspect air in the system first, at least that's almost a free try, just some brake fluid to top off......

·
Registered
803 Posts
could try disconnecting your negative batter cable for 5-10 mins then rehooking up. If the lights come back on then there is still a problem it is sensing. which could lead to the rear sensor. But most likely it is on to tell you there was a problem and won't go off for so many cycles and all.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well when i did the wheel cylinders i did bleed my breaks front and rear to make sure there was no air in the system so i'll disconnect the battery and see if that does the trick if not i'll do the sensor on the rear diff.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did bleed my system lots 2 and I was just thinkin after changing that abs sensor ontop of the diff the lights were still on and 3 days after i was driving and i pushed down the brake pedal and it felt like it was 2 the floor almost and then bam the lights went out and my brakes were 100%.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That rear sensor is like $45 gah im gonna go try cleaning it first b4 i drop the cash for two stupid lights haha

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, haven't been around in a bit..finished up the exhaust project and it's awesome back to the brakes though. So i bled the system twice since then still got lights, disconnected the battery and now the lights are on but when the pedal gets to a certain point on the floor they shut off but then come back on when i let off the brakes...lol any ideas?

·
Registered
265 Posts
What about the proprtioning valve?Maybe it has not went back to the center position.?I know when you have a failure the valve inside it will slide to which either side.Then it will send a signal to the dash light.Maybe it has not returned.may need to bleed the proportioning valve.Thats what used to happen on my old mopars when i have a brake failure.
So I wouldn't think the newer trucks would be much different.

·
www.skyhighrides.com
35 Posts
I had the same problem when i changed my brake line. there should be a wire connector to your abs block by your master cylinder and you can unplug that for a few seconds and plug it in to reset itself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome I'll give it a try tomorrow when I'm at school, I'm gonna balance and rotate the tires in auto class tomorrow so I'll do this to and let ya know if it fixes them. Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the tires done, hooked up two different brake scanners and no luck, now i see there's only two electrical units running to where the master cylinder area is, which do i unhook? The White smaller kind of pen tip one or the rectangle harness one?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.