DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy headers, the ceramic coated Heddmen shortys. The good thing, 80 bucks from a member. Ive never changed my headers on any trucks, so I don't know what to expect as far as gains, or problems. Can someone give me a quick plus/negative of this mod? Do I need a tune? I was told no once, I just need to be sure, with my current mods, that I'll be fine. Thanks for ANY insight.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Notsure for our Rams but I've had them on mine and others old mucle full tubes though and I have liked them quite a bit. Still found it best to double gasket and used one of the biggest port sizes and gasket matched the heads when I ported them. I was wrenching on the car alot so it wasn't a big deal to check the bolts which were loose from time to time and hell I even had them on and off more then a few times. Leave them loose for to long and the gasket burns and won't seal and you get a tick/ext leak. With headers you have to clearance the tubes for the bolts/socket or wrench depending on the spot, clearance around the starter and for the plugs/ plug socket. Those last two probly wont be to much of a problem for ya and with headmans I found this to be a lot better then some other brands I've used and that was with the big tube headers.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you run shortys on your hemi? what results did you get and did you need a tune?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
No I had full tubes on my nova. Got out of cars and into racing sportbikes. My ram is stock manifolds. Notsure I'd want headers for now. I've got way to many other things I want to do to it.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
$80! Damn what are you doing talkin on this thread buy them! lol

Yeah shorties give you a nice little boost in performance, mainly top end. You do not need tuning to run them either and a 180 tstat is recommended with them which you already have.

Hedmans make great quality headers. I love mine and are my second favorite performance mod!

Just make sure you run the mopar gaskets and re-tighten the bolts after 100 miles or so. Then check again after 500 miles or so... Also use anti-seize on the bolts.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
from stock to headers I'd think 10-15 hp and you'd want to and could add abit more fuel.

·
\m/(-_-)\m/
7,275 Posts
He already has a 180 T-Stat and a Powerwire which will add more fuel over just his Superchips.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Unless there less of a differance from manifolds to headers which could be true on the newer stuff.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
yeah thats true both do. Just wondering on yours did mapping change all that much or was there to many other things changed at the same time to tell if it was just mapping?
12.80's is 14.30's here I thought are trucks were faster then that. Can you change the trans tuning it seems like the shifts and delay are slowing umm down a lot. 60' forsure. Stock anyways.

·
muscle ram
1,020 Posts
these headers do not require bundling up the gaskets, the header flange are heavy duty and wont warp like ol skool small block chevy headers

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help. I was hoping for some help with midrange/low as well but the 4.56 gears should fix that. So you don't think it will lean it out to much? Thanks for the tips on checking the bolts also;)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
ever run your truck when it was stock ? just curious what times were. My guess as to what mine would run from seein what you have mod wise is in the 19's
Which is sad but is a truck after all.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, so there is no hardware with the headers. I have no problem getting gaskets. Can someone show me where I can get the needed hardware before these sell on me? Thanks

Hold your pants for a few, Im not done with buying your headers yet:D

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a quick question, eller reported louder lifter noise with the headers. I don't notice any noise right now. Is this normal? Or sound like a problem with the headers? Or just the particular trucks lifters making noise for an underlying reason?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nevermind, apparently the "hemi tick" is amplified with headers. Off to the hardware store to match up some bolts, lol. Either that or I may email heddmen and ask for the kit without the headers. Either way, Im hoping to be putting these on in a week or so.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. Nevermind. I have the money Saturday, but he won't hold, so first one with 80 bucks gets them. :mad:

I'll have to make a note of that, lol. :emouth:

·
muscle ram
1,020 Posts
it was well worth it, one of my best mods i did to my hemi but ive upgraded thats why they are for sale.

·
Thread Derailer
1,854 Posts
i didn't know the hedmen shorties fit 2500's

to my knowledge, only gibson and jba make headers that fit 2500's

shorties help your bottom end, i noticed better hwy cruising after bolting mine on, better up hill power

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.