DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished installing my fan everything went fairly easy but i dont know what to do with the green wire? i guess it gets spliced into the ac somewhere not sure. also i heard that the fan was soposed to be quiet but its acually real loud i thought

·
MORE! MORE! MORE!
2,914 Posts
You are right, its for the ac. I didnt hook it up when I did my fan. Not sure where to tap in for the ac. Loud, mines pretty quiet when it comes on.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Green usually indicates GROUND wire. Don't know if this is the case in your application but in just about every other application Green = Ground

·
MORE! MORE! MORE!
2,914 Posts
Green= AC. Just looked at my sheet again just to make 100% sure.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I didn't hook mine up either I had to play with the adjustable thermostat , never had a problem in the summer. I think it is used to turn the fan on as soon as you switch to A/C. My buddy hooked his to an underhood switch so he could turn it on between runs at the track.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
That's how I use the green wire; I ran it inside the cab to a relay and switch. I could run the fan anytime I wanted to cool things down.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
siiturbo said:
Green usually indicates GROUND wire. Don't know if this is the case in your application but in just about every other application Green = Ground
Green is ground ONLY in AC. Vehicles are DC.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
dmcelhannon said:
That's how I use the green wire; I ran it inside the cab to a relay and switch. I could run the fan anytime I wanted to cool things down.
That is an excellent idea! Do you think you really needed the relay? Not to knock what you did, but isn't the "green wire" input just a poke at the controller saying, "Hey, the A/C just kicked on, start up the fan"? The relay in the controller handles the heavy duty current transfer, doesn't it?

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
slammed1 said:
Dont use the green wire,its for a rad/ac condensor combo that uses the same fan for both ac and radiator and is not used with 3rd Gen Rams with a separated ac condensor w/cooling fan along with a normal radiator with its own cooling fan.

x1

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
MikeHTally said:
That is an excellent idea! Do you think you really needed the relay? Not to knock what you did, but isn't the "green wire" input just a poke at the controller saying, "Hey, the A/C just kicked on, start up the fan"? The relay in the controller handles the heavy duty current transfer, doesn't it?
The only reason I used the relay was to keep me from draining the battery. If I forgot to turn off the fan switch, it would run the fan until the battery was dead. For powering the relay, I used an auxiliary battery power supply under the dash. So, after I shut-off the engine the ECM would see the power drain and turn the fan off 15 minutes later. That was the setup I had on my Jeep GC. For my Dodge, I don't need the green wire.

I have a Lincoln e-fan on my Dodge. The fan has three wires on the motor, a ground, high rpm, and low rpm. The controller is hooked up to the ground and high rpm wire.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
I gotcha. I wired my fan so it shuts off when I switch off the key. I'm thinking of running a switch to green wire input on the controller, so if the fan doesn't start up like I think it should, I have a way to force it on. Do you happen to know how much current would be pulled through the green lead on the controller?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Adding the switch to the green wire is a great "TRACK MOD" and will allow you to cool you engine quicker at the track in the pits.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
I was just reading over the wiring information for my fan. They're equipped with a manual override input. If it doesn't rain today, I may rig this up as a backup in case the thermostat doesn't kick the fan on.

·
mafosa
824 Posts
hey mike, i changed to that spal controller. way better controle. its like $65.00 on ebay. works well with that fan. just my two cents..

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
If you are using the Flex-a-Lite Variable Speed Control Module, you can use a jumper across two of the plugs and the e-fan with run non-stop. I keep a jumper in the center consul just for this reason. When I’m 4-wheeling, I use the bypass to keep the engine cool. Be careful because there are two sets of plugs; one set for non-stop operation and the other keep the fan from coming on.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Just finished up the manual switch. Hot lead from the cig. lighter through a separate fuse and a switch to the "M" lead on the controller. Works like a champ! Now watch, I'll never need it!

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
I think the word you're looking for is insurance.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I say Better to Have and not Need then to Need and not Have

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.