DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a 36 Dodge P/U w/331 Hemi and an A500 4speed Auto w/OD&LU from a mid 90's Dakota. Pump is working great. It has a Lokar shifter and the Park and Reverse are where they need to be in the shift pattern. It will go in to both Reverse and Forward and will move the vehicle off and on a trailer until it JUST QUITS--will not move either way. You cannot find any gear in the entire pattern. Go back in a couple of days and it will work fine until it quits again. Anybody got any ideas what the trouble might be????? Thanks in advance!!!

· 4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,837 Posts
It sounds like it's low on fluid.
Check the fluid level, in neutral after shifting thru the gears a few times... It should be near the add mark when cold.
Since this is a custom check to see were the add mark is. If I recall correctly it should be near the edge of the transmission case were the dipstick goes in.... I know Lokar dipsticks have to be checked since my brother has one on his van and it was incorrectly set to low from the factory.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fluid is B&M synthetic, with the recommended amount added after rebuild and it checks proper on the dipstick. The dipstick is stock, the shifter is Lokar. Still looking for help. Thanks to respondents!!!!!

· Registered
383 Posts
I have seen two things happen that cause these symptoms in the past... 1) Friction material from the rear band separated from the band itself due to misadjustment/dragging, this would all get sucked up on the filter and block it enough to drop the line pressure. 2) Blocked cooler lines caused the transmission to overheat. ATF expands a lot when it heats up, this caused the pan to appear overfilled and the fluid would foam, sucking air into the pump, This caused the pump to stop pumping until the vehicle was shut off and restarted.

I would guess you have something like the latter going on, since you just rebuilt the transmission. What does your trans cooler circuit look like? Do you have a temp gauge installed? Simply having the fluid overfilled can also cause foaming, sucking air into the pump. Good luck!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything is new, pressure from the pump will fill a gallon jug in 30 seconds at the rear cooler return barb. No Temp gauge. The next time it happens I will pull the stick and check for foam. Ant idea where the stick should read cold? Thanks for your help!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.