DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought an a108 van looking for weather striping body panels.Also has any one done an engine swap?I have a slant six 3 on the tree now.I want to put a 318 and keep the 3 speed trans what all has to be changed motor mount etc. Any help would be apprecated

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
The bellhousing for sure, the transmission might be on the weak side as well as the radiator. The engine mount on a B-series van are the same in location slant six to V-8. ( I have done a swap in a B-van) B-vans use the same mount locations for slant six and V-8, I think this is the case on A-vans also.
The starter and alternator from the six worked on the V-8, in my swap.
--B-300--

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
A-vans are totally different than the B-vans. You will need a V8 bellhousing for sure as well as the engine brackets that mount to the frame since there is no crossmember on an A-van. I have a source for the frame brackets. The p/n for the rubber mounts are Anchor 2338 and should be available to order through your local parts store.

B-300 is right, you will need to have the radiator upgraded to handle a V8. Since new rads aren't available anymore, you can have yours recored (rebuilt).

Restoration Specialties (www.restorationspecialties) sells the complete weatherstripping and you can get body panels through George Geissinger ([email protected]). I think George still sells radiators and weatherstripping as well.

Contact Brian Bowie ([email protected]) for the frame brackets. He also sells a kit for mounting a V8 in place of the slant six.

Welcome to DT!

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
I didn't know the frame mounts are different, they bolt on to the frame rails using nuts and studs. It might be possible to find these and other parts such as the engine to mount brackets from a donor in a salvage yard. :D (I didn't mean to imply that the mounts are the the same on the six and V-8, But that they happen to be on a B-series van that is different beast.)
:IDEA: Another thing to consider is upgrading the front brakes as they are larger on V-8 models, or converting to disc brakesdepending on budget and use. Also the rear axle ratio is probably 3.91 for the six and could with the speedometer drive gear to lower the revs. I would use a 3.23 as they are the most common in cars. (OE the V-8 had 3.55 gears, but they are harder to find used.)
--B-300--

·
Registered
3 Posts
You shouldn't have to worry about the tranny because I have a 64 pickup that had a 6 in it as well, when I bought it the guy had put a 318 v8 in it, he told me that the tranny for both are the same, making it interchangable. Hope it helps.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Early slant sixes used V8 Torqueflites in truck applications via the use of a flexplate spacer and bellhousing adapter. It wasn't until '68 or so that the A727 had a slant six specific version like the A904's had previously.

·
Registered
10 Posts
6/8 swap

you have to change the motor mounts and the motor mount perches that bolt onto the frame. you can find them on any original v8 van.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.