DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all shake on our way to the pumps, here's a simple mod. for your stock intake. The plastic air intake can be modified on one or both, bottom sides to except a 4" cloths dryer aluminum fitting. I did this on my original mod. The modification takes a little time with a dremel tool, or a file. Next, you install the 4" fittings. From there your local Home Depot, or Lowes, have a large, and cheap selection of fixed, or flex dryer hoses. If you want to go all the way to the bumper, and don't have the driving lights, you can purchase home floor monitors from the same stores, also cheap. They fit right into the openings to the outside of the bumper mount. It's a neat setup. No slop. The flex hoses fit between the radiator, on either side, by trimming the rubber surround. It also gives a real head rush to your buds when you open the hood and they see 4" flex comming from the bumper to the intake.
Overall, the mod gave me better air, which in turn gave me better power. It also helped on the highway as the faster I went, the more air the beast got. MPG kicked up around 1 to 2 MPG, depending on how I drove.
Thought I'd throw that out there for all, as this site has been very helpful to me in my quest for more power and MPG. If any are interested, I still have my original intake I'll let go reasonable. Anyways, it's a fun and inexpensive mod. that works. So if you have an afternoon to play with, give it a try!

Enjoy,

Beatle

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Beatle said:
.....The plastic air intake can be modified on one or both, bottom sides to except a 4" cloths dryer aluminum fitting.
Can you clarify this a little. By "plastic air intake", do you mean the actual air box that sits on top of the throttle body (houses the air filter), or the long tube that extends to the fender? If you mean the air box, then the way I read this sentence is that you are suggesting hooking the hoses to the bottom of the air box on each end. If that is what you mean, then you are putting air in below the air filter. That means it is unfiltered, and will deposite a lot of debrise into you TB and intake. Very bad.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you mean, so clarify if you can. Pics would help too. Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bottom of the box, before the filter. Very good, not bad. Your filter sits into the bottom of the box. The mod is under the filter. You actually use a portion of the existing intake as part of the mod. You may want to have another look at your air box. The bottom is the area the air from the air tube comes in to. The air spreads across the bottom of the box, rises up through the filter, and into the the tube to the TB.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
I have had a K&N FIPK on mine for awhile, and before that an Airaid CAI, so I guess I forgot what the inside of the stock box looked like.

Post some pics if you can.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, same here. I happened to see the original box in the garage and thought there may be some folks out there who could benifit from the mod. It sure worked well for me, but like so many, I kept adding more mods, and ended up with a twin air intake with dual K&N cones. It also works great, and sounds great, but at a considerable increase in denero.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.