DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been playing around with my SC on my 98 durango...why would i get the timming chain "rattle" around 3,500 rpm using the performance settings..? using the 'towing program' takes the rattling away..Would it have to due to my gibson headers?i love the how it shifts now though,very punchy....Today also got a 180 Degree thermostat put it in...nice and cool now,:)but i havent felt any new power from it though..Big question...running the superchips in Towing mode 24/7 will it be bad? becuse using the Tow program with 91 fuel the D runs great...Thx
Also how good is this Y-pipe to get? isnt it necessary to get a bigger Y-PIPE than stock if you have headers and a Magnaflow setup already?

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
The rattle is most likely your engine pinging. I'm pretty sure the superchips site has info that you wont need to use a lower thermostat with their product.

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
The rattle your talking about is engine pinging. The performance mode advances the timing enough that it will ping. I run mine on tow mode throughout most of the summer due to that very issue. Once it cools off I can run the performance mode again. If I run Sunoco 94 octane the performance mode is ok on the warmer days but anything less than 94 and temps over 85-90 and I have to drop down to tow mode.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
you will benefit from a larger Y-pipe, if you have headers and exhaust already.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sup all..ok..latest adventure using the superchip programmer along with the Gibsone headers, 180 therm, big mouth air-filter..Magnaflow exhaust System ...Its funny,i get the best performance using the 87 program and running 91 Techron..i get a code running any other of the setting,performance or towing...towing runs great using 91 oct,but like i said i throw some code..im going to get the code..ok its P1391 any idea how i can fix this? It only goes off when i hit the gas hard ,either going up a hill or a On-Ramp.. Would it be a GOOD idea to Program the durango @ Performance and Then go get the Timming chain corrected? WILL that work? so i do not get the timming chain pinging? Also....my Exhaust man said getting a Y-PIPE WOULD DO NOTHING 4 ME...I said ok and left, does he know what hes talking about? Thanks for your time..Thx

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
P1391 (M) Intermittent Loss Of CMP Or CKP Loss of the cam positon sensor or crank position sensor has occurred. For PL 2.0L

·
Registered
248 Posts
CMILLER44 said:
timming chain pinging?
No offense man, but with that comment I would try and read up on some engine basics before tweaking my ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe yea i wasnt thinking straight when i was typing,or didnt know how to correctly type what i was hearing..i know enough about cars trucks to get me by..:)

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
CMILLER44 said:
Also....my Exhaust man said getting a Y-PIPE WOULD DO NOTHING 4 ME...I said ok and left, does he know what hes talking about? Thanks for your time..Thx
It'll add a little, mods are a combination of improvements, every little one helps.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
How high pitched is pinging? A couple of times under WOT I got a high pitched skreeching sound, like a belt slipping, but way more metallic. Is that sort of what fast pinging would sound like?

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Unnamed said:
How high pitched is pinging? A couple of times under WOT I got a high pitched skreeching sound, like a belt slipping, but way more metallic. Is that sort of what fast pinging would sound like?
Alright, have you ever heard the 'chattering teeth'? There's no speed variation to it, it's just consistent. What you probably heard was your belt or a pulley.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
There's no speed variance even if the RPM's vary???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello all...i put in some Autolight Plugs 3923...great plug,know more pinging after i shut the engine off..:) as for the Superchip settings, ive found the Towing program along with 'Oct 91' the durango runs great! with 'OverDrive OFF' the D feels like a corvett..lol!!! ive been disconnecting the negitive on the battery after each superchip program in stalled..thats helps alot it seems like..BTW..i changed the crankshaft sensor and the TPS Sensor, NO-MORE engine codes now...hehe... thx all...

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
Sounds good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.