DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for someone to give me some answers about air conditioning recharging.

Here is the "story": Last November, we hit a deer. Nothing major really. $2,500 estimate. It included replacing the condenser. We had the repair work done, no problem. We never used the A/C until this spring (maybe May sometime). We took the van back to have it checked out and they said, "Maybe we forgot to fill it". So they did. It lasted maybe three days. I just got around to taking it back today, and now of course, it has a major leak. They went a step further and told us the leak was due to a bad condenser core.

Now, the air worked when we took it in. As far as we know, it hasn't worked since we got it back. Is there any way that anyone knows of that they could have caused this damage while they were servicing this unit (overpressurized, whatever)? The adjuster called it a wear item, but I can't figure out where the wear came from while we weren't using it.

If anyone can set me straight, I would appreciate it (one way or the other). Thanks.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Condensers don't "wear" out. It's possible that a stone or whatever flew up into the condenser and put a hole in it.....but not likely.

It's hard to tell what they did to it...if anything really.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do not know the full answer to your question. However, my uncle, who works on AC for the big rigs, has always told me that you need to run your ac during the winter for about 10 minutes here and there to keep the seals coated with oil. Otherwise they dry out and you have a major leak.

Sorry, it is not more encouraging.

Elizabeth

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.