DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went racin' for the first time last tuesday night. A friend of mine found this pic on the net...
small world:

Didn't do near as good as I hoped. 14.9 was my best for the night. I was a total newb. Didn't know how to stage properly at first, even showed up in shorts and had to go buy big boy breeches from a nearby truck stop. I had fun though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went racin' for the first time last tuesday night

grinner said:
I went racin' for the first time last tuesday night.
Those windows sure are dark...but I think I can see a big smile on your face. :evillaugh

G

·
Grinner,

Did you turn off the traction control when racing?

What were your 60-foot times and trap speed (mph)?

What altitude is your track (or the general area)?

One final question: Did your viper hood weigh about the same as your stock hood?

Thanks,
Magnum Force.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
husker-
heck no. That Cobra was a 12 second car. Slowest car I raced all night. I wasn't racing cars though. I was racing the clock. Maybe if I'd a won, I'd say I raced a car. :)
magnumforce, my 60' speed on this run was 2.249 with a .532 reaction time.
Even runnin on forged 20s, I hoped to do better than 14.9 at 93.80 mph.
Headers and magnaflows are goin on next week so we'll see if I can't get it closer to 14.
I did run with ESP off although because I had to make that poitstop to buy pants and was frazzled, I ran the first two times with it on just cuz I forgot. Ran a 15.3 at 92mph with a reaction time of .511 with it on. Not a huge difference.
Since then I have gotten my reaction times way down. I'm in a drag racing seminar that lasts 6 months and already have it down to .016ish. Sure helps to actually know how to stage. Makes ya look like less of a tool too. ;)
I learned not to do a burn out at all with street radials. Drive around the water, back up a bit then just give em a little spin to clean em off. I still bust out a good smoker at the end of the night to make the crowd go woo but you can see a difference on the slip. You can feel it off the line too. Can't hear my car at all because I seem to always be up against an 11 second car that's as loud as my freakin stereo system.
Matter of fact, I have started leaving my in car electronics on and getting in the zone with soem Ozzy crankin'. It's how I'd be goin' if a rice burner rolled up beside my on an empty road while coming home from work and I have only seen positive results on the slips, not negative. While my altinator is working harder, I really havn't seen a hint that less hp is propelling me. It's just because I'm all comfy, getting better reaction times and driving better with the music on. Seems to be the thing for me to do right now, at least until I get more comfy with it. With the music off, I feel rushed. Like I need to stage quicker to opease the 11 second car next to me ot I need to do a burn out to please the crowd. With it on, I'm just doin' my thang... nothing else.
As I get faster, I'll start turning on all the LCD screens so the folks I race can watch themselves in the rear-view video camera. :) :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Practice will be a definite plus when you hit the track again. One suggestion, if you still have your stock rims, put them on before your next run.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
never even had stock rims.
I show it much more than I race it.
Just havin' a good time.
I may start doin' some bracket racing though. We'll see how consistant I get in the next few weeks. May be a fun way to pick up some mod money though.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
The magnums would respond better with gears, they are geared too tall right now. They really start hualing ass around 60.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep. I smoke alot of cars when they challenge me on the highway. Just tough for this heavy beast to take off from the line with such large wheels and added weight from the sub box.
Wish there was a different tranny in this car. These mercedes tannys really hold it back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tranny holdin' it back?

It ain't the tranny, my friend! It's the 2.82 gears! I think the trans shifts well and very consistently at 5,500 RPM, no matter what position the gear selector is in. Great for bracket racing! Seems to be pulling really hard when it shifts. Wish I could hold it to 6,000 RPM to see what the difference would be. However, even if you hold it in 1st gear, it still shifts to 2nd at 5,500!! With 3.73 gear, this car would be phenominal! Wonder what the E.T difference would be??
See ya'
Joe

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree, the R/End gears need to be 'drag race' set-up. I like the fuel economy of the tall gears as I drive a lot of highways though. Not one combination is good for both.

·
Registered
69 Posts
BigMike12 - Well depending on the bracket your racing in its a safty rule. The Street ET class at some tracks you dont even need to wear a helmet. Given that the slowest car he was racing was a 12 second car I woudl sat he was in the Super ET or the class that runs 11.99 or faster. When I was racing that was the split between Street and Super.

Grinner - Well you have cutting a light down pretty good :) cant bitch about and .32 or .14 lights with your ET's you should be in a slower class though so its not as much of a issue. Hell I use to race a 17 second 4dr Nova at the 1/4 Mile tracks around here, and every one I was racing was right at the 12.00 mark :) It made for some fun racing; Getting a solid 5 second head start tends to rattle a lot of drivers.

As to gears, I think everyone would be a little surprised how much a set of something in the 3.27 range would wake up a car, a little more quickness for the Lead Sled and it wont kill you on the highway. I woud say that 3.73's would be no fun on the highway but would be a good track gear for the car. The problem you will start to see though will be ( on the street ) with a higher gear your going to have more problem getting traction

-R

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I think you could go with a 3.31 or 3.55 gear and get good fuel economy. If they geared these cars that way from the factory too many people would wreck them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good feul economy with these cars???
lol
May as well just make em fast. Good gas milage just aint gonna happen.
yeah, they made me wear long pants but didn't care that I didn't have a seatbelt on. Go figure. Also, the pant I got at the truck stop were nylon sweat pants. I can see how melted plastic on one's legs would be safer than open flames.
oi vay

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
grinner said:
good feul economy with these cars???
lol
May as well just make em fast. Good gas milage just aint gonna happen.
yeah, they made me wear long pants but didn't care that I didn't have a seatbelt on. Go figure. Also, the pant I got at the truck stop were nylon sweat pants. I can see how melted plastic on one's legs would be safer than open flames.
oi vay

The 300c I had for 3 days on vacation had the Hemi and for a 30 mile trip on the hwy I got 28 mpg and then drove it like a rental for the rest of the trip and got 19.1 mpg. You must floor it all the time if you are getting poor milage. 19 for a v8 is good.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree. I'd be tickled pink if I ever got anything close to 19, man.
Heck, I'd be happy at 15 or 16!
lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
I drive mine with restraint, even going as far as trying to get the best milage that I can by easy starts and stops, less than 80MPH on the freeway and the best overall mileage I get is 18/19.

·
Registered
403 Posts
how many miles you got on your car will make a difference . before the break in , the motor is too tight . you'll see better mpg with some age . my motorcycle got terriable mpg till i hit about 2500 miles .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.