DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 r/t, my tranny has trouble shifting out of first gear under normal accel, take foot off the gas and no trannyat all it just tachs right up, now, at wide open throttle it will shift all gears fine. as soon as i take my foot off the gas no tranny at all.i have to stop the d and take off at wot again. any suggestions?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
maybe a torque converter issue?

·
Todd O
933 Posts
get your computer scanned

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
im going to guess valve body for $400...... No seriously im thinking something in the valve body first off. You arent generating enough pressure under normal load for the transmission to shift. A pressure solenoid or maybe a bearing.

BTW, a diagnostic scan at your OBDII port will not give you transmission codes.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
micash I'm probably wrong but I thought there was some way to scan the transmission for codes and see the pressures, etc. There are some codes for transmission failure though right? (i.e. p0700)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
00RT:

+2 on getting a scan of the system before you start throwing expensive parts in there.

Before you go much further, look into a speed sensor, and maybe a TPS.

These are inexpensive, and have been known to cause shifting issues.

I would go with the speed sensor first. It threads into the trans, and if its bad the tranny will not know what is going on.

Don

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just finished doing the pressure solenoid and transducer,and nothing changed.i forgot to mention there was a loud whine coming from the tranny before this. now the whine is still there .the truck moved through the gears when it was cold,until it warmed up. now it wont move at all except reverse. whine is louder and kind of like a grinding sound. some metal shavings in the pan,like little flecks.total rebuild?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level in your tranny? How's the color of the fluid, does it look or smelll burned?

·
It doesn't need a Hemi
462 Posts
Have you checked the throttle valve cable? Of course with your mention of a whine coming from the trans, I would bet there are internal injuries.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
You have to scan your TCM, and it requires a different kind of scanner. It will tell you things that have gone such as a pressure solenoid or such. I have not used one myself, but was standing there when Cottman ran it on my transmission. I had several codes appear, which I no longer remember what they were.

·
Burnin' gas & Haulin' Azz
182 Posts
+1 on the tps. My tranny seemed like it was acting wierd until i would go WTFO. just normal accel it would jump a couple times form 1st to 2nd. but if i gunned it shifted fine. My rpms were also all over the place at about 70mph and my cruise control wouldnt work right. I switched out the tps and everything works great. Its a $35 part.... and if it doesnt fix the prob...just take it back. worth a shot before you spend $$$$$$. theres also a good troubleshooting technique for it if you have a voltage meter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i gave in and brought it to an independent shop today,very good reputation.and a mopar nut. he said from what the trans sounds like it is the forward clutch pack,because the truck has reverse.ill keep you informed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well it turned out to be the planetary gears and contaminated everything. all said and it needed a total rebuild. new torque converter, servo, shift sensor and solenoid, governor pressure solenoid and sensor etc... total bill was 2100 installed. not bad considering my friend brought his to a chain shop and they charged him 3100. the planetary gear come with a 3 pin 4 pin and 5 pin gear set. the 5 pin set is basically for the srt 10 trucks but it fits the 46re tranny. it pretty much makes it bullit proof. so if you need to rebuild your tranny have a 5 pin set put in you wont regret it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.