DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.......I have a 02 Durango. I am taking it tomorrow to get a new exhaust installed. Any suggestions for it......I don't want duals. I want something sorta mellow.....but not real loud. Im a mother of 3 .......do you thinks its stupid to do mods. to a family vehicle??? :D

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
hell no it's not stupid to do mods to a family vehicle lol Go for it. You'll love it. Try the 70 series flowmaster. check out my gallery if you want to hear a 40 series:rck:

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Well I think it's great to do mods, as long as you improve your vehicle in the process.

What are you hoping to accomplish with the new exhaust, or are you just replacing a worn out system?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanting it to be louder.....I always wanted to do some mods. to one my vehicles......I always loved the Durangos. Not too sure about the new ones though.

·
Loanshark
93 Posts
Yeah I don't care for the looks of the new ones either.

If you run a search on exhaust & spend some time wading through you'll find some clips and descriptions of several different setups. I havn't done an exhaust mod yet but when I get around to it I think I'll just be changing the muffler. I don't think there's much power to be had from exhaust mods on these things so I'll spend my money elswhere for now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I think I am having done. Just changing the muffler. The place that Im getting it done at said about doing that. I wanted stainless steel so it would last longer. I mentioned the 70 series flowmaster and he said that he has a different brand that has a lifetime warranty. So we will see what he comes up with. Also getting it done there I can have them put a few different ones. I was afraid of ordering one and not liking it. I also want the Street Scene grill or one similar to it. And the clear corner lights and taillights for now. Im excited!!! I will try to get pics. My 02 D is a two tone blue and sliver. I haven't seen any other ones the same color around here when I live.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Won't someone PLEASE think of the children! lol Why make them suffer though riding around in a vehicle that looks, rides, and sounds like every other vehicle on the road? Soccer practice is much cooler when mom comes rumbling in and burns the tires dropping you off! That's my excuse - I do it for my daughter.

Flowmaster's website also has audio clips of their different series (although nothing on a Durango). My daughter is a year and a half, and she can still sleep peacefully with a Flowmaster 50 series. My father-in-law, who hates loud exhaust, even described it as "mellow" (after ribbing me for letting "someone punch holes in the muffler"). My mother-in-law is a different story - she hates it, so we make sure to drive her everywhere in the Dingo when they visit...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Fellas, is that not making you guys melt? A mother of 3 is modding her Durango! It's got to be one of the hottest things that I've heard in a long, long time. I don't think that the 50 series SUV mufflers are that loud. I've got dual pipes, and I've heard that the only thing different about duals and just replacing the muffler is the loudness. I don't think that just replacing the muffler will make yours too loud. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Brett

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 50 series isn't loud at all. It just adds a nice throaty rumble and IMO makes the truck sound like it's supposed to! I once saw a post on here that claimed his 50 series would set off car alarms - I guess that was after he ran into the car?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brettdac....I will take that as a complament :) I am 30 yrs old too. Im not doing it for everyone to notice me either. I just love that kind of stuff. My dad is a motorhead.....and has that stuff done to his cars and truck. So I guess thats where I get it from. He has a 67 z-28 Camaro and 95 z-28 camaro.....that sound and look awesome. My mom runs a 98 Dodge Ram with a Gibson exhaust. As you can see I get it honestly.
Thank you for all the good advice. I love this website. :cool:

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
If they have Flo-Pro, I've had that before. To do it over again, I would have chosen a Flowmaster over the Flo-Pro. Rock mentioned the 70 series, it's pretty mellow so I think you'd like it.

·
Banned
1,380 Posts
AKDingo said:
The 50 series isn't loud at all. It just adds a nice throaty rumble and IMO makes the truck sound like it's supposed to! I once saw a post on here that claimed his 50 series would set off car alarms - I guess that was after he ran into the car?
Well I can tell you that with the right mods the 50 series CAN AND WILL set off car alarms. Dont believe me? Pm my homeboy Izzy, he will tell you all about it. I was the one who sent him his 50 series while he was living in HI and after he got it installed he called me up to let me hear it. And ill tell you, compared to my D and its 50 series, youd think he had a 40 on it tuned to be even louder! He said he had already set a few car alarms off. Of course he had a few internal engine mods like bigger injectors and bigger heads and stuff that im aware of, not sure what else.

Later
Big John

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Welcome, I haven't changed mine but as Rock said, the flowmaster 70 series is the way to go for what you want. They have sound clips on their site, but it's hard to compare to real driving. Do you have the 4.7? I think mine sounds great when I open it up. You should be careful of what you put on so when you're cruising on the highway you don't get a drone.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Always better to have a family vehicle which can smoke the rears than to have a family vehilce which remains in the crowd.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know that all these different opinions suck to choose from. I realized that when I was trying to figure out which one to choose from. So... I'm going to make it a little easier for you. I have thought about it, and you probably do want the 70 series. The 50 might be just a little much. I hope that helps narrow the choices down. Good luck,

Brett

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.