DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've read about the tps sensor and i'm not for sure if this would help my problem out so here it goes.Lets say i go to mcdonalds drive threw and there's a car in front of me,When i idle foreward or give it just a little gas to move up the rpm's go way up and tries to do or it does die.All i do is put it in neutral and crank it back up.
Then sometimes i'll be sitting at a red light waiting for it to turn and it either dies or the tranny is stuck in between gears or something,It does this all year not just when its cold but it doesnt like to shift when its cold outside.

specs
98 d 4x4 5.2 318

Ok thats about it
thanks

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
I had a problem where my tranny felt like it was stuck between gears. You push the gas and it doesn't go anywhere, then all of a sudden WHAM it finds a gear. Turned out to be low in transmission fluid (due to the dealer not putting enough in after replacing the valve body).

TPS problems seem to be hard to diagnose. If you think it might be the problem, your best bet is to go ahead and replace it. It's one of the cheapest parts to replace ($35), and if it turns out to not be the problem, take it back off, put it back in the box and take it back.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah my tranny does the same thing,I was also told that my idler sensor could be bad but i dunno.I just had my d in the shop last week to have the axle shaft replaced and they checked all the fluids and filled everything up,I havent had the problem again but i only drive 1/4 mile to work and back each day with no red lights :) so we will see soon.
thanks

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
I drive 60+ miles a day to work and back.

:( <~ this is the face of envy.

Hopefully the mechanic topping off all your fluids took care of the problem, although I would imagine your transmission fluid would have had to be pretty low to cause a problem like that. Take it on a good ride around town and see if you can make it happen again.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wish I could find a TPS for $35 - here in Alaska they want $77!

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
Get somebody in the to CA/OR area ship you one. Seems like it would be considerably cheaper.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
it could be your IAC. It's on the backside of the TB. Mine was cutting out like that also.

·
Registered
750 Posts
kingstretch said:
Get somebody in the to CA/OR area ship you one. Seems like it would be considerably cheaper.
I'm in OR, if you want I can check and get a price, then ship to you.

Edit: Dodgeparts.com has one for your D for $33.81, just look in the OEM catalog and do a keyword search for throttle position sensor, and then fill in vehicle info like 1998 Dodge Durango and you're set, it will bring it up.

If you don't wanna do that and just want me to go down to the dealer I will.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Esh- Thanks for the info and the offer! I'm not sure if I need to replace it yet, it measures at .7v, but the Dingo's doing some weird things (started another thread a while ago so I don't hijack this one, but no ideas yet). I'll definitely let you know if I need ya though - it would sure save me a few bucks.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
AK, you could try removing the sensor and cleaning it with wd-40. It's just a variable resistor, work it back and forth several times with a small screwdriver, if any crap comes out, repeat cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.