DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go to one of the JY around here and found a great 72 - 78 hood. It came off a 72 adventurer and it is in really good condition. No dings, dents or metal damage at all. Best part is that I only paid $40. It pays to know the staff I guess. The only thing wrong with the hood is that circular spot in the paint and alittle bit of surface rust (as you can see in the pictures) in a few areas but it is not rusted into the metal it is just on the surface. I was wanting to replace my hood (if I found a good one) because the hood on my truck has some hail damage (dings from summer trips up to the northern states) and spots that needed to be welded up from where rally hood locks used to be. It is getting hard to find good undamaged parts for our older rigs. I still am looking for the radiator support for my truck to no avail.

Just thought I would share my find with DT.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nice.
Curious little spot, isn't it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice.
Curious little spot, isn't it?

Indeed, I though that it was maybe a bondo patch job but I took a key and scratched the top of the spot and rusty powder kinda comes off. Maybe rust got under the paint and started eating away at the paint (I know I know, in a circle?). Or maybe it could be someone put something (container or can?) on the hood that was corrosive and it ate the paint away in a circle pattern? Very strange pattern but it is all metal.

Update: Your inquiry of "Curious little spot, isn't it?" got me thinking more about the spot on the hood. So I went out and took some fine grit sand paper and tried to sand alittle bit of the rust area away and sure enough bright silver looking metal is under that curious rust spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Fire damage. Light underhood fire.

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
Indeed, I though that it was maybe a bondo patch job but I took a key and scratched the top of the spot and rusty powder kinda comes off. Maybe rust got under the paint and started eating away at the paint (I know I know, in a circle?). Or maybe it could be someone put something (container or can?) on the hood that was corrosive and it ate the paint away in a circle pattern? Very strange pattern but it is all metal.
Just put a hood scoop over it :D :D :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fire damage. Light underhood fire.
Nope the underside of the hood is fine no burn or char marks or anything on the underside of the hood under that spot.

Just put a hood scoop over it :D :D :D
Would look cool but nah I am just going to soda blast the hood and repaint the whole truck

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
It definitely looks like there was a hot spot there at some point. Maybe the air filter housing or something along those lines was too close to the hood and transferred heat to it. Overall though it is in good shape.

As for finding a core support that isn't munched all I can say is good luck. I'm in the same boat. Problem is most the yards around me crush our make of truck rather than part t out because they get more from the scrap.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I had to know what this spot was so I took a high pressure washer and cleaned off the underside alot better. It had what I though was grease, dirt but it turns out bookworm & 77Utiline were correct. It looks like there was a under the hood fire at some point.

So that brings up this question do you think the fire did any damage (weakening the metal) to the hood? The metal looks good under the spot that I used some fine grit sand paper and sanded alittle bit of the rust area away and there is bright silverish looking metal under that spot, but would just like to know your thoughts.

As for finding a core support that isn't munched all I can say is good luck. I'm in the same boat. Problem is most the yards around me crush our make of truck rather than part t out because they get more from the scrap.
I am going on your avatar pic but you have the grille that has the marker lights to the inside of the headlight. I have seen these radiator supports out here in good shape. The one I need is the radiator support for a 76 with the marker lights under the headlights which I can't find.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Who cares..the metal is straight so go with it...nice find

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I won't be installing it on my truck for awhile yet so I desided to sand down the spot area and put a protective rust barrier paint coat over the spot to protect it in the mean time.

Attachments

·
1977 Power Wagon Utiline
347 Posts
I am going on your avatar pic but you have the grille that has the marker lights to the inside of the headlight. I have seen these radiator supports out here in good shape. The one I need is the radiator support for a 76 with the marker lights under the headlights which I can't find.
Funny enough there are a couple of the ones you are looking for in yards around me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny enough there are a couple of the ones you are looking for in yards around me.

That figures I can get what you need and you can get what I need. The freight would kill us though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
okay, I just got time to get back online. I recognized the fire damage, I've seen it hundreds of times ( having worked many years in a salvage yard). The only problem you may run in to is this: the fire may have either warped the metal ( doesn't appear to have any ripples in it), or melted the "mastic" that glues the hood skin to the underhood support structure. Just something to watch for. If the skin of the hood is loosened from the support structure, it is very difficult to repair. That white paint (white is a "hide" color...it conceals flaws) makes it hard to see any damage in the pic. You may have gotten lucky.

·
Registered
421 Posts
OK I had to know what this spot was so I took a high pressure washer and cleaned off the underside alot better. It had what I though was grease, dirt but it turns out bookworm & 77Utiline were correct. It looks like there was a under the hood fire at some point. [Snip]
PO must have put a Ford motor in it at some point. Only reasonable explanation for an engine fire in a Dodge.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay, I just got time to get back online. I recognized the fire damage, I've seen it hundreds of times ( having worked many years in a salvage yard). The only problem you may run in to is this: the fire may have either warped the metal ( doesn't appear to have any ripples in it), or melted the "mastic" that glues the hood skin to the underhood support structure. Just something to watch for. If the skin of the hood is loosened from the support structure, it is very difficult to repair. That white paint (white is a "hide" color...it conceals flaws) makes it hard to see any damage in the pic. You may have gotten lucky.

As far as I can see and feel (with my hand) there are no ripples in the metal. Before I put the protective rust barrier paint coat over the spot to protect the hood I sanded that spot down to the metal and it looked and felt smooth and had a normal metal color shine. As for the "mastic" I can't see any areas that look melted there are some mastic joints where the hood skin and the underhood support have cracked (which I have acouple on my orig hood also) but again nothing looks melted. Where can I get some of the "mastic" stuff to repair the cracked ones or atleast apply some more? I appricate your reply and definitely will watch out for what you suggested when I get it soda (sand) blasted.

·
Registered
663 Posts
back fire/ carb fire is my guess.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you can't feel any ripples, there probly aren't any. As for the hood skin, reach under there and push up with your fingertips, see if it separates from the structure. Easy does it, if it's loose you'll see easily. If it ain't loose, don't worry about it.
Looks like you may have found the buy of the year.... a clean 35 year old hood. Hoodathunkit !

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you can't feel any ripples, there probly aren't any. As for the hood skin, reach under there and push up with your fingertips, see if it separates from the structure. Easy does it, if it's loose you'll see easily. If it ain't loose, don't worry about it.
Looks like you may have found the buy of the year.... a clean 35 year old hood. Hoodathunkit !

Yes I checked throughly running my hands along the spot (that is now painted with a white rust preventer paint) and on the underside I sanded down to the metal and it is also a good metal color with no ripples either. As for the under hood skin I have seen some "mastic" areas that have separated from top of the hood but it is no worse then the original one on my truck right now. I would like to know where to get some of this "mastic" compound or what ever people use to repair these areas that have come seperated. So yes I think I got a really good find at this junk yard, I really wasn't looking for the hood right now but couldn't pass up the hood with the condition it is in and the price.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I can't remeber what we used, it was years ago. I know it was a body sealer that came in a quart or gallon can, we applied it with a stir stick or a stiff bondo spreader. Sometimes in the hot weather we used a heavy brush. Check at any automtive paint supply shop, ask them what is available now. If the metal is separated it is very difficult to repair, for some reason the skin would not sit correctly on the structure, it would leave a hump or a valley. At that time we were dealing with late model parts, vehicles only 1 or 2 years old, on an older part you may not be so picky.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.