DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I NEED HELP WITH TREAD DESIGN AND ALSO TIRE HEIGHT TO GO WELL WITH A CUMMINS TRUCK. i'm new to diesels, and i'm definitely new to this 03 quad 4x4, 2500,....i just bought it two days ago.

so, the tires are so-so and it gives me an opportunity to put what i want on there.

i should start by saying, i'm very utility. i bought it with a few nicks & scratches and i plan to use it. i'll keep it mostly stock, excepting a k&n air filter. i doubt i'll add much power with a chip unless it's only maybe 50 horses. i just don't like breakin' stuff.

anyways, it has 265/70-r17s on there now, and they measure about 31". they look puny in the wheel wells and the long box quad looks a little silly on them.

i like to run all terrains with a fairly aggressive tread design, though i use them on the street a lot.

but i'm thinking i could easily put a 35" tire on it without any clearance issues. is this any issue with torque for pulling serious loads? doesn't feel like it would be, so far. ......sorry, i don't know the gear ratio.

·
Power Wagon #1605
16,086 Posts
325/60 or a 325/65 would be a nice tire. Maybe a Nitto Terra Grappler

·
Anti-Pavement Pounders
237 Posts
I am running 295/70/17 on mine now. Fills the wheel wells nice and have no rubbing with leveling. They are about 33" when new. You may have problems (rubbing) with 35" unless you add a lift or a leveling kit, then it probably will be OK.

Should not have any towing problems with 35s, CTD has enough HP/tourqe to counter the bigger tires.

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
What ever tire it is make sure its an e tire or you will have weird wear and it wont handle as well with a load.
I know guys have been getting great tread wear on the pro comp xtreme ats like 50k

·
running on 6 cylinders
543 Posts
a 295 or 285 will be good on height and still give you good fuel milelage

·
Registered
76 Posts
You didn't say if manual or auto transmission. You will stress the auto alot more with towing serious loads.

You will loose power towing serious loads at speed limit due to bigger heavier tires and rpm's will be lower also giving you slight less power towing.

The more aggressive thread design the poorer the MPG.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I run BFG all terrains 285 70 R 17 on stock rims and get good mpg, also have 55,000 miles on the tires and expect to get 90,000 miles out of them. I use my truck on the beaches down here and some light mud and love these tires

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just did it again.....that's the 2nd draft for a response i lost because i jumped websites. what a tard.

anyways, here's a tire review link i like to use (this time i'll open up a new tab to get it):
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/BFG-All-Terrain-TA-KO.htm

so, we have.....
the nitto terra grappler (looks pretty good, mud rating is low...it matters at the dump, snow rating is ok...really matters in winter around here)
the toyo m/t (love the look of 'em, maybe too noisy for my work truck, i like the a/t version better...but it ain't too great in the mud, overall i like the a/t a lot, except the money)
the firestone destination a/t (a real tight tread design...i bet it wears a long time, looks like a great all around tire...except it looks real utility...hmmmm, do i need a more aggressive look?)
and the bfg a/t (the ol' standby, good tread design, but i hear they don't wear as long as others?)
i also really like the general grabber a/t2 (it looks kinda mean, looks like it'll street really well, and the cost is low!....now who the heck sells 'em???)

i think i will stay with about 33" tires, cuz i have an automatic, i sometimes tow my 5th wheel flatbed, and i definitely don't wanna be messin' with lift.

y'all know how to calculate tire height, right? a 285/75 r17 = 285mm wide, 75% of that is height off the rim (count it twice), and a 17" rim.

so, 285 x 1.5 (.75 twice) = 427.5mm.
427.5mm / 25.4mm per inch = 16.8".
16.8" + a 17" rim = 33.8" tire (roughly, depending on how much the mfg lies).

we'll see. i shop craigslist too, so ya never know what'll come up. i may wind up with a 16" wheel and 315s. i was really wondrin' how the diesel does with more or less rubber on the road....does it like certain treads better? i noticed the tires that're on there have grooves around them from slipping. i ain't a mean driver, but that motor has got cahones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.