DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1500 reg cab swb 4x4 i was wonder how hard would it be to put either the mechical 12v or the 24v electronic. can you beef up the stock axles or go 3/4 all around, i have a 3300$ 47re tranny would it hold up ?? please some insight

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
It would be cheaper to buy a used 2500 with a cummins in it. Beefing up the axles would be one thing that needs to be done as well as the suspension components, most likely having to fabricate some brackets on the frame for suspension and/or the engine itself. You would also need to stiffen the frame in certain points to handle the extra weight for off-roading and such. Changing the entire fuel system/cooling system is also a must. It would cost much more to try to convert a 1500 to accept a cummins, then it would be to buy a used 2500.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
While I agree that it would be cheaper/easier to buy a 2500 CTD, the swap can be done (but not cheaply or easily).

Only one I've seen that's done it can be found: HERE

·
Derelict
392 Posts
As a bonus, you can't change your GVW and the engine adds 900 pounds to your base weight.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
edglock21 said:
While I agree that it would be cheaper/easier to buy a 2500 CTD, the swap can be done (but not cheaply or easily).

Only one I've seen that's done it can be found: HERE
I've always thought the finished product of that truck is one of the best rams I've seen. :rck:

·
Registered
38 Posts
If your truck is already paid I wouldn't think it unreasonable in price to swap in a CTD, and you would only need to change the front drivetrain from the hub in, most engine swaps the seller will throw this stuff in anyway. I think it would be reasonable, but I would be more likely to do it myself. Keep in mind, you have to change your fuel pump too.

fromanhb said:
It would be cheaper to buy a used 2500 with a cummins in it. Beefing up the axles would be one thing that needs to be done as well as the suspension components, most likely having to fabricate some brackets on the frame for suspension and/or the engine itself. You would also need to stiffen the frame in certain points to handle the extra weight for off-roading and such. Changing the entire fuel system/cooling system is also a must. It would cost much more to try to convert a 1500 to accept a cummins, then it would be to buy a used 2500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.