DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a new truck. I was going to wait till the summer however there are a lot of deals going on between a local ford and dodge dealer. I did some searching on here and a little sketchy on details. Is the 5.9L or 6.7L the way to go? I will be getting a manual w.e route I go. Any advice or cautions would be appreciated especially problems people are having with the two motors.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
5.9 is bulletproof, almost no chance of having any problems. 6.7 is getting better that's it's been out for a bit, but it's still a bit of a hit and miss. 6.7 has more power, exhaust brake for advantages however the drawbackes include decreased MPG, and chance of having issues, while small it is still greater then the 5.9. I personally would buy a 5.9, because I do not like the sound of the 6.7 for one (ya it's weird, I just don't think it sounds like a diesel to quiet!) and while mods are becoming more and more everyday, there is 10 times more mods out there for 5.9's. Whichever you buy, i'm sure you'll be happy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Devil Dog said:
Its gonna be hard to find a new 5.9L.
there are three 06's on the lot. This is a used/new car dealer. It doesn't have to be new. Pretty much just trying to get other peoples opinions on the two with experiance or knowledge on both motors and their pros/cons. I hope this isn't a question that has been asked before I tried searching as best I could before posting but couldn't come up with any thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may just go with the 5.9L I only pull a 10-12k pound trailer once or twice a week. So I am sure it will be plenty of power. I was just lost. I am new to the whole diesel world and just like to get others opinions before buying into one...$20k-$40k is a lot of cash.

·
16oz. to freedom!
1,106 Posts
get you a nice used low mile 5.9 with the 6 speed manual. you will be happy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
test drove the 5.9L they had on the lot and it drove smooth and everything was fine but only 2 things had me concerned and again this could be my ignorance towards diesels but when I started it the entire truck shook hard and it seem to start a little rough. The second thing was when I turned it off it was the same violent shake and took a sec. to shut off. The truck only has 30k miles on it.

·
16oz. to freedom!
1,106 Posts
"the shakes" are perfectly normal for a CTD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats good to know must be all that torque then idk. I am clueless to diesels but thats what you guys are for. And after doing some more searching I found a million topics over my first question and sorry for the repetition. :help:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Ya like said it's normal, the 5.9 6 spd won't disappiont, it's what I bought and I really like the power, I enjoy driving it much more then the 6.7, but for more reasons then the engine change. If you really want to be happy get heated leather seats for the cold winter :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mocho said:
Ya like said it's normal, the 5.9 6 spd won't disappiont, it's what I bought and I really like the power, I enjoy driving it much more then the 6.7, but for more reasons then the engine change. If you really want to be happy get heated leather seats for the cold winter :)
Easy money bags lol. I will be happy with just the heated mirrors as I have never had those. First things first...got to go to the bank and get a loan. They are asking about 32k for the truck which is a 2006 2500 quad cab 5.9L 4x4 6spd manual with 30k miles. I think I can talk them down to 30k but we'll see. I hope to have it in the driveway by next week.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
If you can afford it, go for the 08 6.7. I have had many CTD's and there is nothing that compares to the 6.7.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.