DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8, over the past month or two I've started experiencing a strange problem that seems to come and go:

My most common drive is to work, it's about an hour. After about 30 minutes of driving, typically after stopping at a red light the engine will start to judder like the fuel is being restricted (this normally happens while still at the stop idling) when the light goes green and I try to pull away the engine hesitates big time and I can either ride it out (usually takes about 20-30 seconds) or floor the gas a couple of times to get things back to normal again. Sometimes, the check engine light will flash on and off until the episode is over and very rarely a DTC, P0ABC, will be thrown.

I have a scangauge II in my vehicle, when this problem occurs you can see the short term and long term fuel trims for bank one both max out at -33%. Occasionally, bank two will join in the fun although not as heavily.

I've also monitored the O2 sensor voltages during these episodes, both the pre and post-cat sensors for bank one stick at a 1.27v signal, which explains the extreme lean response from the PCM.

As I mentioned, it's usually initiated after stopping and idling the engine, for example at a stop light. Sometimes it will occur during cruise at highway speeds.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Russ.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
dealer may need to flash the computer

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally tied this problem down to a damaged oxygen sensor bias feed wire on bank one. I cut the cracked section out of the harness wire and rejoined the two ends. Looks like vibration was causing intermittent breaks.

I finally worked this out when the truck wouldn't come out of open loop.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
good job. what is oxyhydrogen injection anyway?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically, it's splitting water (H2O) into hydrogen and oxygen and injecting it into the inlet manifold. It increases the burn speed of the gasoline, increasing thermal efficiency.

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
cool. how are you coming along with it? are you experimenting on the ram?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far, I've been working on increasing the output of the oxyhydrogen generator without overloading the alternator. I'm pumping about 4.5 litres a minute of the gas right now and the engine has smoothed out a lot and gained in power too.

I'm running through a full tank of gas right now to see what happens with the MPG, my next step will be tuning the outputs from the O2, MAP & IAT sensors to find the right A/F settings. I want to work with ignition timing too, but I doubt I'll find a tool that will allow me to do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.