DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted several questions recently on the loss of 2nd gear in my truck. I had it confirmed by 2 trans shops recently. My latest question (which I'll admit is a :crazy: one) is I need to drive to california from phoenix az in a couple weeks. I want to know if driving my truck that distance roughly 800 miles round trip is going to kill my "new" (mopar "powerglide" with overdrive) trans any quicker. I already drive it 150 miles a week with out 2nd as it is so I don't really see what I have to lose other than a possible tow back home???? Before anyone ask I don't currently have the 2500-3000 dollars to rebuild the trans before then. And other than my truck my only other vehicle I have to use is my General Lee replica. I really don't want to think about the gas cost of driving a 440 without a overdrive trans and 4:10 gears 800 miles is going to be!

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Once you get up into overdrive on the highway,your transmission doesn't even "remember" that it doesn't have second gear. The second gear band is for second gear only so you will probably be fine on your trip. :D

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
You should be OK, unless you have a HD 2nd (kickdown) band that has fallen out of place.... If you did you would here a thump-thump noise about everey 1 to 2 seconds. I know this from driving a van 20 years ago and then rebuilding the transmission with a used case.
Newer transmissions use a flex band which is less likely to rotate like what I described so you should be OK even with a loose band. I assume this is why it skips 2nd and you call it a powerglide+OD.
--B-300--

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the funny thing is that despite what the 2 different shops said 2nd isn't totally gone it merely slips. It will shift into 2nd and as long as you don't accelerate to hard (say less than 1/2 throttle it's fine. But if you do try more than half throttle it just slips and feels like you put the truck in neutral. But thanks for the quick responses I feel a lot better about the trip now.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
way2brokenow said:
drop a couple jugs of lucus trans fix in her and let her rip.
Not gonna help him in this situation.Lucas is for rubber seal problems(hardened or shrunken up).
:D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I know tactransman. I never heard anything good ever come from all those wonder chemicals for transmissions, engines,etc. bascially scams.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If second is slipping then it is putting clutch material in the fluid and pan. Eventually this will plug the filter and when that happens it will not shift at all or for that matter even move. I don't know that I would chance it that far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.