DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck has always idoled a little rough but after i put the fastman on it got a little worse, it started to get better after a wile then i fould a vaccum hose cracked and when i fixed that the idol got worse again, any ideas?I Have a flashpaq tuner and was wondering if the sct tuner would make much of a difference or if it was just better than the flashpaq for automatics because of shift points and such. I was also wondering if kn makes a 14x3 filter for a edlebrock round filter. And because the round filter brings in more air does the kn give you more power or does the paper filter let enough air in. I was planning on doing another preformace mod but im running out of ideas i dont want to do anything major, i was thinking high flow cat ( probably not much gain) or underdrive pulley but ive heard many different thing about them.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
When was the last time you cleaned the TB and the IAC?

·
5.9 Vroom..putt..putt..
166 Posts
get a cold air intake, you need a velocity effect, 14x3 air cleaner is really pointless, your probably losing power with this setup, throw the stock intake back on and see what it does

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never cleaned the tb or the iac. the tb is only a month old. if the aic was dirty or fowled wouldn't the idle be bad all the time? mine is only when i first start it up. MH_MOTORCYCLE what do you mean by velocity effect? With the 14x3 intake it takes in a lot more air than the stock intake or cold air and it was one of my favorite performance mods.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Did you check every vac line to make sure more of them arent split?

get a cold air intake, you need a velocity effect, 14x3 air cleaner is really pointless, your probably losing power with this setup, throw the stock intake back on and see what it does
Obviously you have never tried an open element filter kit.
FYI, once rolling, ambiant air temps under the hood drop to about 10deg above outside air temps.

Unless your in the deep south the open 14" K&N will give better performance than a cai unless its the ramairbox(best of any I track tested) with twin 4" ducts to a 14" k&N. Ramairbox will give almost double the 1/4m et reduction of pretty well every other cai out their. (another company makes on similar)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yes K&N makes a 14x3 filter, it does improve airflow but not enough to make much of a difference in your case, I think its around $50 for the filter might be less and I would get either it or a spectre(a little cheaper) just because they can be removed, cleaned and oiled as often as needed so you dont run into problems of having a paper one thats clogged and waiting to buy another.

Dont know what you consider major but how about some headers or 1.7 RRs

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
if you know that the intake is not leaking, plenum or heads? if the oxy sensors are not bad? are the plug wires routed as tsb stated? try running with no pcv. i hate those things!

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
after you increase the flow rates of a stock block you may run the plugs lean and hot. watch them for a white or sulfur ash- hot condition. its time to wet the whistle with more gas.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
also if you run a mid temp plug, they take longer to warm up autolite 3923s copper core. it may be time to switch to bosch plat 1 probe. mine cleared that condition. also if you pcv delete- watch your oil quality- i mean watch carefully for water and condensate in the oil/crank case it will show up as foam on the dip stick. the valve covers need to vent in some way, dont just put a element hat on there, its not enough draw. emissions will pass w/ out a pcv. a computer controlled engine, controls the fuel, controls the timing advance, regulates spark intensity, idle speed, and is all messed up buy a dummy hopping around noisy thingymagiger that insists on leaking vacuum at inconsistent rate! its worth a temporary try.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry everyone i have been very busy lately. I have not checked all the vaccum lines i only looked at the one i heard leaking I will check them all out this weekend i will also check the plugs. I dont remember what plugs i put in but i know they are fairly new. I already have rocker put on and i wasn't that impressed only seemed to give me a little fuller power in 3rd and 4th. will headers give me much performance gains? it seems like the stock exhaust manifold flows fairly freely. I hear a lot about the sct tune but isn't it better than flashpaq because of the torque management? so this would mean it doesn't do as much for a 5 speed right?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spun 360 What is a "pcv delete" and what do you mean by "not enough draw" sorry not much of a motor head

·
Registered
115 Posts
you need to adjust the iac counts buy turning the set screw so it will idle at the right rpm it was modified and the computer cant compensate until it is within specs must be to low open it up and it will idle

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it doesent idle rought all the time its just if it sits more than 8 hours or so, so wouldnt it be bad all the time if it were the iac?

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
a positive crankcase ventilator, is a pcv, it sticks out of the valve cover and allows a plenum leak to raise the idle- nibble it off temp, sometimes this helps you stableize the idle to help find the leaks. i have my air box Td off to breath from both sides. when i have a "gasket" or hose line leak my idle goes up and i know right away. fix a leak! a cold start rough condition is normal for a split second, in pa the weathers been wet enough to cause condensate sucked in on first breath. my 2 cents about a under drive pulley set is that if you use alot of juice on lights or fans or sub woofers you might not be able to charge your battery anymore efficiently enough.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah im thinkin no on the underdrive i got extra lights a amp and probably another amp coming soon. Anyone do the sct tune on a 5 speed? think this might be my next mod just want to know a little more about it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Anyone do the sct tune on a 5 speed? think this might be my next mod just want to know a little more about it.
ya. was peppier than I expected over stock! I wasnt having the highest expectations b/c I believe that you get more to gain with an auto tranny... meaning 5 speed doesnt suffer as much as the auto tranny with stock tune.

improvements over stock:
peppier, stronger
less (or none at all) POP POP POP when letting off the gas at a low speed while in gear (like going 10mph in 2nd gear)
smoother acceleration esp in 1st/2nd gear where a small back and forth variation in RPM can jerk the truck

running the 87 octane tune completely eliminated my slight ping, 93 exaggerated the ping.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the 50 mm fastman. Yeah ive heard good things about the sct for automatics but it seemed like it was mostly from the torque managenent so i figure it has about the same power increase as the flashpaq for 5 speeds.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
rough cold start might be either the modded TB is too tight and new, the iac is confused, or the throttle set screw may need a slight tweek! have you fixed it yet? i would try the free fix first- adjust the blade position. mp408 might be right!

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
any developements yet? would a slight clocking of the tps help this situation?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.