DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to pick up a 2000 dodge ram, 6sp, ctd, 134k miles.

1) The tranny grinds a little between 5/6 gear, can I just double clutch it or do I need to try and find some synchros?

2) Will a set of 285/75r16 fit on a stock 2wd dodge?

3) When I test drove it, one of the rear brake lines burst. They are suppose to be getting that taken care of this week. This was a Massachusetts truck for 7 years. The frame looked solid from what I can see. Is this brake failure something I should be worried about? I imagine the lines just cracked because they were old, however I wonder if it is an indication of other things to come?

I am getting a good deal on it (10500), the interrior is GREAT. there is some rust on the bottom of the doors but you can not see it from the outside, however I think I can either fix it, or just buy a new set and get the truck repained since there are a few scratches. The engine pulled great, and it shifts perfect minus the 5th and 6th grind.

Overall opinions?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
No you will not be able to clear 285/75R16 on a stock 2500 2wd. They barely fit on a 4x4. I can't really help you with your other questions though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
285's

Just put some 285's on my 97 CTD. They rub on the rear of the inner fenderwell during hard turns. Truck sits up good. Can see right over little imports.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
This is a very bad sign..I'd check under the truck for more rust...some good folks are finding rusty fuel lines too which will leave you stranded in the boonies if your luck is like mine.

·
PAID OFF!
1,262 Posts
since you are up in the north the salt probably ate up the bottom of the truck, which made it very rusty, if you get it you will need to replace all brake lines and i would check every other line running under the truck!!

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
I'm gonna guess this truck is from eastern Mass, shoreline area? Be wary of things like corroded wire connectors, soft brake and fuel lines, and the like. A good thing to check is the connectors behind the tailights and the trailer pulgs, that will tell you if the truck saw any saltwater. As for the trans, I've only heard of the 5 speeds having an issue with the retaining nut on the 5th gear shaft backing off, nothing on the 6 speeds. If you have a syncro going out between the top gears, I suggest and extended warrenty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.