DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a new car, and the Magnum R/T is on the list. I've got a couple of questions that I haven't seen addressed here, so any info would be appreciated.

1) How much do the stock rims weigh?

2) Can you Supercharge/Turbocharge the MDS Hemi and keep MDS?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure about the stock rims' weight, but they're 18's and alloy, so they're pretty heavy. As far as supercharging/turbocharging, there are a few companies working on supercharger kits right now, at least one of them is close to the production stage. No, you won't lose MDS, in fact, you can't turn the stuff off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another question - anyone know why they don't offer a manual tranny for these things?

Any aftermarket people looking at that at all?

·
Registered
290 Posts
rim weight

i thought they were 28lbs.

·
Banned
302 Posts
I Love the Autostick.
Its fun and yet relaxing. You can always shift gears by nudging to the left or right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Autostick IS the best...I HATE the "clutch"...Except on my hardly driven muscle car..'74 T/A But that's different. For all around driving, you can't bets the stick.Could be a little more responsive though !

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would rather shift....autostick, it's a nice playtoy.

Wonder if an automatic with a foot clutch could be developed. Flip a switch and shift manual (for real) or leave it and stay automatic.

·
AWD is the right way
165 Posts
flhthemi said:
I would rather shift....autostick, it's a nice playtoy.

Wonder if an automatic with a foot clutch could be developed. Flip a switch and shift manual (for real) or leave it and stay automatic.
Back in the late 50's, Renault had a thing called the Ferlec clutch on a standard transmsion. It was activated with a switch inside the shifter lever. Move the lever a little and it would disengage for stopping. If you just shifted through the pattern it would disengage during the shift.

The thing had nested drums with the space filled with iron filings. As voltage was apllied, the filings would stand up and cause the drums to bind, thus creating the clutch action. Of course that was 45 HP engine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
One reason is that the tranny is required to make MDS work. The torque converter is allowed to slip slightly (on lockup) in order to reduce the engine pulsation when MDS is working. My guess is it would be a bad ride with a standard and MDS. Plus a standard tranny means a second set of fuel and emmissions testing, which are tougher because the computer does not have as good a control of the motor in a standard tranny car.

·
Mainiac
526 Posts
magnitude said:
I'm just going by what I've read in other posts, but you're probably right.
I shipped a set of stock rims and Fedex weighed them -- with the wheel nuts and the box -- at 26 lbs. Given that I'd put the wheels alone at 22. Its definitely not 28.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I noticed no one has asked this and inquiring minds want to know.....

What bearing does the weight of the wheels have upon your purchasing a Magnum?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wheel Weights

Basically, 1 pound of wheel weight is like 4 pounds of chassy weight, so I was asking the weights in anticipation of perhaps purchasing newer lighter wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.