DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately it has been over 90degrees out and I have been using my A/C. I have to keep the A/C on full blast just to keep the truck cool/warm. So today I checked the temp comming out of the vents. At 2,500 RPM held for a few min. the temp comming out of the vents was 60 degrees. I know the temp should be around 32 depending on the humidity and temp outside. Before I go and try to buy a recharge kit what else should I check? What are the most common A/C failures in the dodges?
Thanks for any help,
Jesse

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
I know I only paid $30 for a complete evacuation and recharge on my system performed by a shop. Not much more than buying the kit and it's a lot easier. A kit cannot evacuate your system either, even though you probably do need one, it can help your system live longer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
the evaporator core is a known issue with dodges.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The temp should be around 50-60 degrees or so. I don't think it will get to 30 degrees since it's near freezing. Obviously if the truck is warm then it's not working properly.

Anyways if you take it to a mechanic they will "blacklight" all the lines and vents to check for leaks first. It could just be a hose that has a leak. If it is a major leak you will be able to see a "greenish/yellow" color near the A/C compressor and hoses even without the special light and lenses. Lenses just magnify the dye and allow you to see smaller leaks more clearly.

Recharging the system won't do anything if there is a problem with it. So best bet is to have a mechanic check it with a "blacklight" tester first.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A/C concerns

You will never get 32 degrees out of your dodge truck...If you get 45 degrees outlet temp in 90 degree weather your doing good! Evaporator problems are common in any of the R 134 systems....Turn your a/c on and then feel the lines....the discharge lines should be hot to the touch so be careful, the suction line will be pretty cold to the touch if the a/c is working normally...If not the best way to find a leak is first a visual inspection of the components you can see,,,,lines, condenser,,a/c compressor etc....If they look okay then you have to get your a/c system recharged with a freon that contains dye....after the system fails again ( and it will ) then check it with a black light and special glasses...You will probably have to go either to a dealer or an independent shop to get this problem diag..correctly...Remember air conditioning does not cool air it takes heat out of the air and on hot humid days you not going to get very cold air coming from your vents..don't get me wrong the a/c should cool the interior of the truck down enough that your comfortable, also run your a/c system on the recirculation mode.

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
I always thought that the a/c compressed air with a compressor and then the air naturally cooled as it expands, just like any gas does as it expands.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pressure drop is what causes the cool down effect a high pressure going to a lower pressure is the reason....Oriface tube or expansion valve is the way to meter a high pressure to a lower pressure

·
Registered
80 Posts
Air conditioning takes the humidity out of the air also to do the cooling process. If it is not charged properly it will not pull the warm moist air out. That is why they have to have an evaporator....just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.