DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 Dodge Dart that was originally an automatic. I purchased a 4 speed tunnel hump to covert to a manual transmission (see picture below, it is upside down in the picture).

My problem is that they gave no instrustions for placement of the new piece. Does anyone have an A-Body that they can take a measurement for me on? The easiest measurement would be from the from seam where the floor pan meets the fire wall to the front of the large opening for the shifter.
Also does anyone have a picture from inside the car through the hole for the shifter? Looking at my car, the transmission cross member that is welded to the floor (not the transmission mount) looks like it will be in the way of the shifter and linkage. I was told that this cross member and transmission mount was the same for auto and manual transmissions. Any and all insight would be great!! :D

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Andrew I can't offer a photo but it seems to me the floor needs to be removed from ahead of and behind the crossmember. I heard this from someone going through the same process as you. The shifter linkage goes around it for one rod.

Have you contacted keisler engineering seeing as they sell manual tranny kits for Mopars they may have this info available.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think by cutting out the floor large enough to suit the new trans tunnel it sould allow enough room because it matches it will match the factory floor, it is the cross member I am worried about; but if one of the shifter rods goes above the transmission cross member then I might be okay? I hadn't heard of Keisler engineering before, I sent them an email in hopes that they may shed some light on the situation.

Andrew

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After searching searching and searching some more, I found these pictures, it is what someone else has done. They should be able to help me :D

If you look at the second picture and visualize the new transmission tunnel going on top it should give you an idea of how little room there seems to be between the transmission cross brace and the shifter and shifter linkage.

Andrew

·
Got Horsepower?
182 Posts
Don't worry about clearance, everything will fit. Both 4-speed and autos had the same cross member that was welded to the floor. All factory stuff here and yes it is close. If i remember correctly the reverse rod goes underneath the cross member and the other two go above. The trans and shifter is currently out of my 4speed 69 Cuda but I will be able to get some measurements if you still need them in the next couple of days. You're right though the shifter hump fits the floor perfect and will only go in one spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.