DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
RAMMSTEIN
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Journey section as well, but being that The Journey section doesn't see much traffic I'm posting my question here as well.

So my wife has a 09 Journey RT front wheel drive. My one regret since buying it has been the fact that it isn't AWD. So my question is, how hard would it be to convert it to AWD? And what parts would I need? Thanks

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Nightmare would be an understatment. Better off trading it in on an AWD.

·
RAMMSTEIN
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I was thinking was finding a cheap salvage awd journey that mainly just has body damage and swapping everything over. Time consuming I don't mind,I've ripped apart the suspension on my truck quite a few times and I like working on vehicles. I guees I'm just wondering if there would be some technical aspect that would require modifications that I can't do. I would imagine Dodge would have kept mounts and such as universal as possible across the different trims....

·
RAMMSTEIN
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lift up the radiator cap and slide a new car underneath. I would think your biggest obstical would be the frame for rear.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Drop PCP a PM and see if he can help you out. He's helped me a number of time will hard to find stuff.

:)

·
MADBRAD
1,155 Posts
Sure its do-able. These vehicles are mass produced so if an AWD version is available the parts should just bolt in. As far as what it will cost and what exact parts are needed to do the complete swap. Not sure! All I know is on several 4X4 magazines, forums, tv shows the question has been asked to convert a 2WD to 4WD and the answer is always sell the 2WD and use the proceeds to get a 4X4. Not sure which way you want to go.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I posted this in the Journey section as well, but being that The Journey section doesn't see much traffic I'm posting my question here as well.

So my wife has a 09 Journey RT front wheel drive. My one regret since buying it has been the fact that it isn't AWD. So my question is, how hard would it be to convert it to AWD? And what parts would I need? Thanks
Kiablo,

While I cannot give any advice on the changeover you may be attempting, I agree it's do-able. I would just point out that if you and your wife are original owners of this vehicle it should have came with a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Changing the vehicle to AWD would void that warranty. Just wanted to point that out in case you are original owners.

·
RAMMSTEIN
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure its do-able. These vehicles are mass produced so if an AWD version is available the parts should just bolt in. As far as what it will cost and what exact parts are needed to do the complete swap. Not sure! All I know is on several 4X4 magazines, forums, tv shows the question has been asked to convert a 2WD to 4WD and the answer is always sell the 2WD and use the proceeds to get a 4X4. Not sure which way you want to go.

Buying an awd vehicle may be what I end up doing, I guess I am just weighing my options. I was planning on trading the journey on a grand cherokee or a new durango, but I'm also on a mission to get completely out of debt. I've also suggested an awd journey to the wife but she hasn't really liked that idea, even though it would be the cheapest of the 3. I guess in the end, all I'm doing is weighing my options.

·
RAMMSTEIN
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kiablo,

While I cannot give any advice on the changeover you may be attempting, I agree it's do-able. I would just point out that if you and your wife are original owners of this vehicle it should have came with a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Changing the vehicle to AWD would void that warranty. Just wanted to point that out in case you are original owners.
We aren't the original owners. We bought it with 8000mi on it. The warranty issue is a bit of a sore spot for us. We had no idea of the original purchase date of the vehicle and the engine needed to be replaced at 33,000 mi. Well turns out that we took it to the dealer two weeks after the 3 yr was up. Well after fighting the dealer for 4 months and getting Chrysler involved we got all but 1800 covered. But anyway, ya there isno way I would be considering a swap if I had a warranty to worry about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.