Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of guys asking me to start a build thread, so here goes:

My truck is a 1999 Ram 2500 QCSB 4x4 with a V-10/47RE

I bought it 2 years ago with 96K miles on it for 6000.00 It is an excellent runner.
So far I have:
Rebuilt the 47 RE with a Trans Go Shift kit (Full Firm Shifts)
Dacco High performance Torque Converter

K&N FIPK
Gutted Cats
Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust

Chrome Hummer H2 takeoffs with 35" BFG A/T tires

Led tails

1 piece Projector headamps/ corners

I found this bed on Ebay:

They were made back in 94-95, I remember seeing one at a local dealer painted up like a Little Red Express with stacks and all. I always thought I'd like to build a pre run style truck with the stepside bed, ala Walker Evans old Dodges back in the 80s. I bought mine from AIM (Justbagit dot com is one of there many websites) I understand they bought a new facility a few years ago, and these beds were left there, so they are selling them. When I got mine last March they had 7~8 left. It is designed to use a mid 90s Chevy stepside tailgate, but I will not be running a tailgate on mine.

I built a bender using the "Gottrikes" plans as a basic guide, I made quite a few changes however, including CNC control:

I got ide tracked building some other tools:

Bead Roller:

I also made a straight edge guide for my Plasma:

Other projects include Dimple dies (no pics yet)

I bought Bend-Tech software, and have designed my front bumper:

This is where I stand now, The bed is installed, along with a set of Glassworks flared front fenders. I Ordered a 1 3/4" die for my bender but it took 8 weeks to get, slowing me down, and now I'm pretty busy with other things, so I hope to get on the bumper this weekend.

After the front bumper is done, I am going to do a taper cut on the bottom of the bedsides

And fab up a rear bumper.

I think I want to do a tire mount/ shock cage like this:

I do intend to add a main rollbar hoop to the bed behind the cab also.

As for the suspension my current plan is a set of 3rd Gen Hemi front Coils, Carli rear add-a-packs, 2.5" Kings, Limit straps, and I am going to fab my own Control arms and track bar with ballistic joints. When funds allow I will add some King Air bumps as well.

The Driveline is going to consist of a 2002 Front 60 (Non Cad) with 35 spline axles, Ford Hubs (Lock outs), and a tru-trac with 4.88 gears. I am still looking for a 2002 Rear D-70 with Disc Brakes, 35 splines and a Detroit

As it seems my other rides have all of a sudden become black (not totally by choice, just how it ended up) I will be painting the truck black when I finish up the fab work.

I will try to be regular with my updates. All comments and suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds like an awesome project, and looks good so far. You have some awesome rides there too, how do you decide which one you're gonna drive though?

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
Great thread and a nice set of rides......

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts
All you need is something with only two wheels...

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
Helluva a project! Looks like you have planned it very well so far, I like all the tools also. Keep us updated.

How do you like the Jeep SRT-8?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a link or source for anymore of those beds? i am guessing the outsides are made of fiberglass? Any weight savings?
AIM in Mesa AZ, They have a bunch of websites, including justbagit<dot>com they usually have a 4 to 6 pafe add in mini and sport truck magazines. The entire bed is fiberglass, the floor is 1" thick, and I'm guessing that it is about 200 Lbs lighter than the stock bed. They had about 7 left last spring, and they are not on there web sites, you have to call them. they throw them up on E-bay every once in a while, that is where I found it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Helluva a project! Looks like you have planned it very well so far, I like all the tools also. Keep us updated.

How do you like the Jeep SRT-8?
It is an ANIMAL, It has Kooks Long tube headers, PPP Ported heads, FRI Patriot cam, and ported intake, and a Volant CAI. I can not take credit for the mods though, I was lucky enough to buy it done for a SMOKIN deal, 23,900.00 :rck: It was at a luxury car dealer, and I was able to track down the original owner on the Cherokee SRT website. His best pass with it was a 12.6X uncorrected in crappy weather

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Awesome, I love that step side bed cant wait to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
549 Posts
So far i haven't come up with a good phone number to look into one of these beds. I must be doin somethin wrong lol If you don't mind me askin, how much did it set you back and how would you rate the quality? Most aftermarket fiberglass parts are so so at best. I see the gas door isn't cut out, think that will be hard to re-work to use the factory door?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Problem, this is the phone # 1-888-242-7385, and the main website is www.airbagit dot com. I do not remember the exact price, but it was ~ 450.00. The Gas door is not cut out nor are the taillight holes, bue the recesses for both are there. Neither was a problem. The quality is among the best I've ever seen for aftermarket parts. The gas door, I made a template out of cardboard off my original bed, as the factory hole is an odd shape, I reproduced this shape in the glass bed with an air saw and a rotary file, the factory gas door fits perfectly. I am not running a tailgate, so I'm not sure what that will take, but I've looked at a mid 90's Chevy stepside in the junkyard, and all the needed hardware just unbolts, so it seems like it would be pretty straight forward. The glass around the taillights at the bottom is pretty thick, and the bed mounting holes are already drilled, so that is a non issue, the only thing is the front bolt holes just go through the bed floor, so you will need longer bolts, and they are just on the floor of the bed. I cannot remember what size they were, but I found some nice stainless button head bolts at a customer of mines hardware bin.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Was that 450.00 shipped or was shipping on top of that? Thats a very reasonable price. I work for a salvage yard so I get great rates for truck freight and I am sure I can source a nice gate cheap enough. I would just have to fab up a roll pan, should be easy enough to glass one in.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was picked up, I actually drove out there to get it. From the looks of it, a Roll pan for a regular bed would work, might need some tweaking, but it should be in the ballpark fitment wise.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks, called today and they told me $495 + frt. i am workin with them now to get the weight and dimensions to give to the freight company we use for a rate. The guy i talked to when I called had no idea they even had them lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, they had them lined up in the "Back corner" of the lot, and they have a pretty big lot. The nice thing about picking it up, is they let me choose which one I wanted. After 15 years they all had some "shelf wear". Good luck Murf

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a lot of physical progress, I have been working a LOT of overtime, I have however purchased some goodies for the project:

A set of Carli Add-A-packs for the rear

I ordered a set of new 2K5 Power Wagon front coils from Dodge

I bought a complete 2K5 Power Wagon rear axle assy. (4.56 gears, selectable Locker, Disc brakes etc...)

I talked to the guys at FOA shocks, I will most likely be purchasing a set of their 2.5" Remote Resivoir shocks, and 4" travel Air bumps.

I was also able to calibrate my tube bender to my software.

Will post pics as the parts start rolling in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
you said you wanted to build your truck like walker evans, this company Trailer Products, at http://www.off-roadfiberglass.com/ has all of walker evans 1990's mold and corr molds. all of these are 100% original walker evans molds on loan. i bought my walker evans hood from them, but got my fender flares elsewhere, because i didnt like the walker evans ones.

The following are our products:

Walker Evans Dodge Truck
90’s style rear bedsides, dzus-on, 86”long

90’s style front fenders

90”s style doors

90’s style hood

Dodge Corr

90’s style front fenders

90”s style doors

90’s style hood, with side returns

Our molds are on loan from Walker Evan's fiberglass shop. When he closed down his fiberglass shop, he brought us the molds and we are still making them for him and anyone else who wants them.
this is an excerpt from an email, i received from trailer products last year, before i bought mine. i opted to pick it up from their shop to save on shipping, but they are in california.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I picked up the rear axle, front and rear springs, and ordered all the parts for the rear brakes. I also ordered a set of 4.56 gears for the front axle, along with a 35 spline tru track for the front.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.