DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 Grand has no a/c. First time I turned it on last week since last fall. The a/c compressor/clutch are not running. The a/c control knob and button are both working. Button lights up. Removed the dash panel and checked all connectors. Everything looks good. It's dual zone and the overhead console temperature is working. Checked the fuse, swapped out the relay. Used a test light to check for power and ground at power control module at a/c relay. I'm no electrical expert so could really use help figuring this out.

Here's the results:
- No power at compressor connector.
- Engine off - ground at 30. Engine off - using positive battery terminal - power at 30 & 86.
-A/C & engine running - using positive batt power at 87. a/c and engine running - using negative terminal 30 and 86 are live.
- a/c off - engine running - using positive batt terminal 87 is live

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
don't know if you figured it out but low freon will cause that, I thought my newly installed ac clutch had gone bad so I did the bypass test on the ac clutch and it was working good. I had a gauge that comes with some of the refill cans and showed no pressure. I had an extra $5 can of freon from wally world and put it in and the clutch kicked in, turns out one of the hoses had a hole. New hose and all is good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't fixed it yet. Tried jumping the clutch at power box with paper clip but keep blowing the fuse. How did you jump the clutch? Thanks

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I just ran two wires to the plug on the compressor, one to pos and one to ground. You will hear your cluth engage if its good. There are few good videos on youtube on how to do it. Tne fuse shouldnt blow by jumping it at the relay unless you have short. Unplug the clutch at the compressorif the fuse stops blowing the clutch may bad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to test a clutch from junkyard. It's got continuity but can I connect positive to either wire on clutch? Can I test by just running leads from battery to the clutch? Do you mean unplug the clutch at the plug and jump at the at power box to see if the fuse still blows?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Battery power can go any direction to test, if you get a junkyard one make sure you get the little washer(spacer) when you do. When i got mine i spun it first to make sure the bearings were good then pulled it. Its simple and pretty quick to do, also smell the clutch for the smell of burniny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts