DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99' 318 (5.2) that runs great until I have to idle (SOMETIMES). then it starts sputtering. It has died a few times, but usually I have to make long trips in it and it runs just fine 20-50 miles or so. BUT if I stop it acts up.
I have also gone from cold idle to warmup and lose the idle after 20 mins or so.

I have changed out the IAC and the Throttle Positioning Sensor and still have the same problem. I have a MAP Sensor on order. Thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you check the O2 sensors and connections?

Can we get a bit more information; does it have any indicator lights or giving codes?

Have you recently done any work in the engine bay?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re:1999 Durango stalling

The only code "Autozone" WAS getting was for the TPS (via Engine Light) and After changing the TPS all codes were clear and Engine Light was off and has stayed off. The Engine runs normal with no flux in RPM when I 1st start and drive, in this case driving 25 miles. Its when I shut down and restart and the symptons arrive. I was contemplating on pulling the air handler and cleaning it?? The Engine has 160,000 on it. This past summer I have done the following: Replaced Radiator, replaced water pump, replaced thermostat, replaced alternator, TPS and IAC and other exterior work. But its always ran great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
99' Durango idling issue

I drove it again to my appointment 25 miles away and the same thing happened. no problems on the way, after about an hour with it off, I came back and started it up. This time as it shuttered and popped around on the road, I pulled over. turned it off, restarted and it ran all the way back home. BUt I had a couple of times where I would completely let off the throttle and I saw the RPM drop under 500 and quickly regroup, but nothing extreme. I was able to stop a couple of times completely at stop signs and it idled just fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Curious if anyone knows what the TPS % should be at Idle and what it should be at WOT. I was thinking idle with throttle completely closed would read 0% and WOT should be 100% but the Live data I get from a 2000 Durango 5.9 Liter is approx 16% at Idle and I only see 79% approx at WOT.
I do not get any Codes stating TPS issues so I am just curious here.
Also stalls after warm up ( at least prior to MIL code ) as I believe it has to do with O2 sensor code (Heater) Though O2 sensor is new and a NTK (NGK)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I drove it again to my appointment 25 miles away and the same thing happened. no problems on the way, after about an hour with it off, I came back and started it up. This time as it shuttered and popped around on the road, I pulled over. turned it off, restarted and it ran all the way back home. BUt I had a couple of times where I would completely let off the throttle and I saw the RPM drop under 500 and quickly regroup, but nothing extreme. I was able to stop a couple of times completely at stop signs and it idled just fine.
I am curious if maybe the Idle Bypass Air Solenoid is starting to get sticky or possibly slow in actuation?

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
Did you clean the throttle body where the iac goes in? If not it could be carbon in it effecting the iac.

Curious if anyone knows what the TPS % should be at Idle and what it should be at WOT.
Throttle position sensor is a potentiometer, A 5 volt supply voltage gets sent to it by the pcm. Depending on the position pcm will see voltages between zero and 5 volts. I dont know the exact voltage for idle-wot off the top of my head but it's in the service manual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ran the battery dead on mine this past week. It would not idle until the battery charged up a bit. Mine seems to want to idle at about300 RPM's. Seems a little low to me but this is a work in progress.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.