DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some ideas on this one. My truck has developed a weird starting issue. I can either let it crank for about 5 seconds and it will run, ...well/good even! Or, crank for 1 second, turn key off and then right back on and it starts within 1 second. It almost seems like it needs to build up internal pressure or something. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
could be a stuck open injector. this keeps the rails from building pressure and hogs away fuel from the other cylinders.
it sounds like it wants to start after the pressure is reached. also the pump might not be managing consumption whether keeping up with the demand or keeping pressure on with its back pressure regulations

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies. I think the 3 of us are onto something. BlueDriver scanner shows no codes. A fuel pressure gauge appears to have revealed a couple of issues. Here's what I saw:

Ign Switch ON: pressure jumped to 50 but then drops back down to 10 without starting truck.

Truck running after starting: stays at 55.

Could this be 2 issues?
1) Bad fuel filter (Haynes manual is describing servicing a large canister with a heater that separates water)
2) "Stuck open injector". This might be why I am seeing pressure drop quickly after initial jump in pressure when turning the key on. Haynes manual says remove lead wire from each injector to see if any idle speed changes occur.

Update: Ohmed out all the injectors and ohm okay. Don't see the large canister Haynes manual mentions. I don't see it anywhere, could it be in the gas tank next to the pump?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the diagram of the canister my 99 supposedly has somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just watched a good video by South Main Auto. Will report back here once I have had the time to tear into my fuel rail like Eric O does!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator. Part of the whole fuel pump assembly in the tank. Got mine for about $150 and swapped out in an afternoon on a 01 5.9. Completely solved the issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fuel pump check valve, common problem in almost all fuel injected vehicles. It is built into the pump, but you could try adding one in line if you cannot afford the pump right now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the recent suggestions. Once I pull the injectors I will know if any are bad so I will be starting there. If the drop still happens I will know for sure it's in the tank which I do NOT look forward to lowering to replace the same device that has been giving me intermittent tank level indication for going on 5 years now!

This one may be a while to get back to. To many other projects going on currently.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I wonder if pulling off the fuel rail with the injectors would require new gaskets where they seat?

Also, I am still wondering why Haynes manual says my 99 should have that water/fuel separater yet I don't see it anywhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a water fuel/separater on my 99. The only filter they have is on the end of the fuel pump. It sounds like to me the fuel pump is letting the fuel pressure bleed off to fast. When you first try to start it and then turn the key off, then back on that's building up fuel pressure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Progress report:

1) Pulled all injector wires and verified it's not an ECM issue.
2) Pulled both injector rails (pry upwards) and checked to see if one was stuck open. None were.

Looks like a gas tank drop is in order next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Progress report:

1) Pulled all injector wires and verified it's not an ECM issue.
2) Pulled both injector rails (pry upwards) and checked to see if one was stuck open. None were.

Looks like a gas tank drop is in order next.[/QUOTe

It is the regulator, part of the fuel pump assembly, like I previously stated... not that bad or expensive to change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine did the same thing and heres how I fixed it!
My tank filter was plugged so change the sending unit! Rock auto $50 bucks and the fuel canister is located on the driver side frame rail under the cab you can miss it! Mine had sand and junk in it! Clean it out and runs fine! When you turn the key but dont start it youll hear the fuel pump prime for a second! Do this a few times to prime the system after you replace and clean everything! Hope this helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts