DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Go Hawks!!
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok peoples, I am getting ready to drive my Ram from Maryland to Cali for a permanent change of scenery.. It looks like I will be towing a U-Haul trailer behind me ranging in weight from 3000 to 4000lbs. I am short on cash due to getting things squared away for the move but I want to make sure she will make it with flying (or at least hovering) colors.

I am already going to do a Hughes Plenum repair with all new bolts and gaskets, rotor, cap, wires, plugs, belt, t-stat, diff & tranni fluid change, band adjustment and decarb the engine....

Any other suggestions? I would like to get a tranni cooler but the cash isn't available.. What do you think? Thanks

·
Hemi Nation
260 Posts
RE: Long Haul

I thought the Ram came with a tranny cooler. I have a '99 1500 that has 2 hoses coming out of the radiator (well, one going out and one coming in) on the passenger side that are labeled "Transmission". They route down to the tranny and back. I thought that was standard on all V8 Rams.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
All automatic transmissions have a cooler built into the radiator. Most trucks that have a towing package have an auxillary cooler mounted in front of the radiator or A/C condensor.

·
Go Hawks!!
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump, ok, I know there are people out there who have towed long distances and also have experience with the stock tranni cooler ques. Any help?

Thanks Dodgevanman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello to all,

My folks made a trip this past sept. in our Ram 1500 from Oh, to Co. They were bringing back to Oh a U-haul full of items ranging from furniture to a garden tractor in a large box! One of the things that we did, was change out the transmission fluid in the truck prior to the trip. I know that we used some sort of Sinthetic fluid, but am not sure which one! We always change out the fluid every other year reguardless of milage. Our truck does have the towing package, and the transmission cooler on it. Again, as previously stated, I think the extra cooler is part of the towing package!

Hope this helps!

Mark

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Well, first of all: I wanna wish you a safe trip over to my State. Second: your Dodge Ram should be more than capable to make the trip, just tune it up and away you go. :cool:

Good luck. :)

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Just a note...Amsoil makes a superior synthetic transmission fluid that is compatible with Chrysler ATF+ fluids

·
The Danger Dodge
339 Posts
some people stopped by our restraunt from washington state. ( live in ga) and they had a uhaul hooked to their KIA .. So if the kia can make it that far..your dodge ram should be more then capable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BLACK1999Ram said:
some people stopped by our restraunt from washington state. ( live in ga) and they had a uhaul hooked to their KIA .. So if the kia can make it that far..your dodge ram should be more then capable.
:D Good stuff

I drove from Maryland to Colorado in '03. Didn't have much of a load (maybe 1,200 lbs) but had not one problem except having to spend about $500 in gas ;)

I would think your taking the southern route? Hooking up somewhere on I-10?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
also i would replace my serpitine belt and keep the old one for a just incase thing, another thing i would replace is the bypass hose on the engine, those things pick the worst time to go out. Good luck on your adventure.

·
Go Hawks!!
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I am planning on about 600-700 dollars in gas. Plus other expenses.

I am replacing the Bypass Hose today when I do my Plenum and 20 other things.

I appreciate all the info. Keep it coming on any other things that I may expect on the drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.