DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever experience a problem with a shimmy or wobble at highway speed after hitting a bump?

I have a 1998 Ram 1500 4x4 with new shocks and steering stabalizer. I recently got the front end aligned and they said everything is tight, but when driving on the highway, usually when curving right and I hit a bump, it feels like the front left tire is wobbling for 3-4 seconds after hitting the bump. The guys doing the alignment say they don't see anything wrong. :VHOT:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Are you haveing to slow down to stop it? It so it's the dredded death wabble. If you do a search on death wobble there's a lot of things that cause it. Look at your trac bar. I've had it in my Gr. Cherokee and it's been the motor mounts and track bar but there are many things to look at.

Good luck!

Mark

·
Urban Wheeler
415 Posts
Check your steering stabilizer, it's probably worn out.

Edit: I missed that he said that, got distracted by the TV. My mistake.

·
Registered
803 Posts
89smurf said:
Check your steering stabilizer, it's probably worn out.
If you read his post he said he just got a new one.

But yes it does sound like the "death wobble" as mgrady said just search and follow the things that pop up.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Trac bar. Possibly tie rod ends. Ball joints been checked recently? Hubs?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 1996 Dually Cummins with the same problem , new track bar, new steering stabilizer , and new shocks everything checks ok, is driving us crazy trying to find the problem, have to slow way down to straighten it out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Steering stabilizer....no. Lot's of guys run with-out them.
Also having a Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, both lifted, I would check the track-bar too, and jack it up and wiggle your ball joints and tie-rods for fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Highway Wobble

I have taken it into Big-O Tires twice (becaue I can usually count on them for quality work), first time just to have it looked at and the second time to get an alignment. Both times they said everything looks tight and nothing needs to be replaced. The second time the guy behind the counter actually hinted at the fact that this may just be normal - not the brightest bulb on the tree :VHOT:

As for the question about whether I have to slow down or not, no. It happens as soon as I hit a bump on the left side while going around a curve to the right at highway speeds. I have felt minor variations of it while driving straight down the highway, but always on the left side. It always stops within 5 seconds of starting.

After reading most of the posts, and spending time under my truck again, moving and shaking everything I can, I am kinda leaning towards changing the track bar. I also found some other forums talking the truck aggressively following the road contours and such, which mine does and they advised changing the track bar. So, what type should I get?

Any inputs? :huh:

As a side note, yes this is my first full size truck as well as my first 4x4, if you haven't figured that out yet so I am in uncharted waters here. :help:

:IDEA: I guess I should also point out that the truck is still stock with the original rims and non-aggressive street tires on it. It also doesn't have any lift or mods. (Yet)

·
Registered
53 Posts
try going to a tire shop put your tires on the balancer have them run it up to diff speeds and see if the belt shifts in the tire have seen that happen before hit a bump shifts belt till you go slow enough and the belt pops back in. just a thought

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
How many miles are on your truck? If it's not the trac bar, my guess is that it's the hubs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's 120k on the truck. I just bought it a month or so ago. I got under my truck again yesterday and shook the hell out of everything, to no avail. If the trac bar is bad, should I be able to notice some play in it?

As for the hubs, how would I go about checking the hub and are they hard to replace?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
AFGizmo said:
There's 120k on the truck. I just bought it a month or so ago. I got under my truck again yesterday and shook the hell out of everything, to no avail. If the trac bar is bad, should I be able to notice some play in it?

As for the hubs, how would I go about checking the hub and are they hard to replace?
Kerpow! Write up on doing the hubs:
http://pavementsucks.com/tech/hub.php

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man! I love this site. Thx.

·
Registered
6 Posts
what size tires? could it be your tires?
i have 33" and the front had 2 cracks all along the seam (~1 1/2" below tread on the sidewall. about 1 1/2" apart. above and below the tire info brand/size/etc.)
i noticed after hitting a bump in the road or driving over varied terrain that the front end seemed to kinda sway a bit.
noticed the cracks in the tires. replaced them, and now everything seems to be ok.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Post #1
well i have a 1998 ram 1500 4x4 ,,,this is my problem on ocasion it will feel like i,m driving over rumble strips on the side of the hiway its very random and intermiton and only last for a second or 2 tops and only between 60 and 80k's ive checked whell bearings and replaced them shocks been replaced tires are fairly new .... now when this happens it does not affect the steering at all !!!!!!!!!! it does not pull the vehichle to one side !!!!!!1 it just feels like a rumble strip i,ve been looking for the problem for 2 months now please anyone with some advice? sorry to be a dink here but i too need help with this one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.