DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
brew dawg
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a 98 Ram 1500 with the 5.9L and we are currious as to what the hp should be for the truck or what dodge says it is? We will be taking it to the dyno sometime. I just wanted to know if anyone here knows about what it should be? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
994 Posts
i think they were rated 240 at the crank.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Post #4
with just a hand full of small mods on my former 98 Ram QC 1500 2WD with a 5.2L, my best dyno was 230HP at the rear wheels with 274.4 ft lbs of torque ...
when you say handfull, what exactly do you mean?
I ask because I'm curious to know what mine puts out now (over stock).
I think the stock rating for my 5.2 was 225 hp and 240 tq. ?
Can you take a look at my sig tag and give me your best guestimate?
The nearest dyno is 3 hours away.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
They were rated at 245 but put about 200 ±10 horses. Also if the numbers seem a bit low, check for the death flash sticker under the hood, its a little white sticker that says the dealer flashed the computer.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Also if the numbers seem a bit low, check for the death flash sticker under the hood, its a little white sticker that says the dealer flashed the computer.
Thankfully I don't have the death flash (see pic) , but a lot of 5.2 2nd gens do unfortunatly. I rode in a friends 2nd gen, same motor, smaller tires, and it was kinda sad how much off the line power the death flash takes away. I told him about it and he ended up sourcing a junk yard PCM that didn't have the update sticker on it.

RAM MAN: are the mods I have about what you had on the 5.2 that you dyno'd? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Anyone have a pic of what a death flash sticker might look like? I have always had a lack of off the line power, as well as all around power, but then again with stock 2.55's, a tad bigger than stock tires, and no mods, I can't really complain...
edit: Sorry I typed this out before the pics loaded (that was wierd). I'll look after work, thanks for the pics chizzle!

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
This is from my truck. I'm pretty sure this is a deathflash sticker. If anyone could tell me for certain I would appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
death flash that is

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
chizzle1 said:
when you say handfull, what exactly do you mean?
I ask because I'm curious to know what mine puts out now (over stock).
I think the stock rating for my 5.2 was 225 hp and 240 tq. ?
Can you take a look at my sig tag and give me your best guestimate?
The nearest dyno is 3 hours away.
Thanks.
I mean, I never cracked open the block to change the cam, nor did I install roller rockers, no headers etc.

Lets see - I had the ram air box, a fastman TB, Mopar performance PCM, magnaflow performance cat, and cat back exhaust, = the only other real performance items I had were the transgo shift kit, and went with 4.10 gears and a "posi"

I wouldn't be good at guessing your dyno numbers (sorry)

I still have a copy of my dyno runs around here somewhere ...

·
5 Years... 6 Dodges
25,280 Posts
From the title... I was hoping to see a 98 Ram putting down 1,500hp. :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can someone fill me in on the death flash thing? my ram is slow as hell, i havent checked yet but im betting ive got the deathflash, too. Why did they do it and what does a non-flashed comp. have over a flashed one?

·
Banned
62 Posts
my 2001 is a 5.9L and is rated at 245hp and 345 ft pounds of torque.....stock.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
dodgerulessa said:
my 2001 is a 5.9L and is rated at 245hp and 345 ft pounds of torque.....stock.
that is the true "advertised" rating = but that is taken at the flywheel, not at the rear wheels

For some time I have wanted an independent company to dyno test vehicles, so you could find out the REAR wheel // true world numbers

My 98 1500 QC with the 5.2 was "factory rated" at 230HP and 300 ft lbs torq ...

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Can someone fill me in on the death flash thing? my ram is slow as hell, i havent checked yet but im betting ive got the deathflash, too. Why did they do it and what does a non-flashed comp. have over a flashed one?
if you want to check, look at the pics of PCMs that were posted earlier (like post 9 & 7) and compare to yours. If you see a software upgrade, you have been death flashed.
The death flash was implimented to help a pinging (spark knock) problem with the 96-01 5.2 & 5.9 liter engines. Most people, that haven't been flashed, get around this by using a 180* t-stat and 3923 (colder) plugs.
The stock PCM will outperform a flashed PCM due to the timing curve being more aggressive on the stock unit.

·
brew dawg
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks fellas. After he fixes the trans (it's slipping) then we are going to go to the dyno. He wants to get some numbers before he adds any mods.

·
Registered
199 Posts
after reading this thread i went and looked and i sadly have the death flash. i have a 96 5.2. can i get a computer out of any 96-01 5.2, or 5.9 and make it work?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
i have a 96 5.2. can i get a computer out of any 96-01 5.2, or 5.9 and make it work?
needs to be same tranny type, same displacement, other than that it should work.
if you get a boneyard PCM (flashed or not) send the other one in and have it custom flashed. B&G will do it for $350.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.