DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 4 door 5.2L and for a few years now the battery kept going dead if you didn't start it for a week or two. It used to do it only during the winter, but now has done it a few times in the summer. I am even on my second brand new battery.

Recently when I goto start it I just get a loud clicking noise, even though the battery is fully charged and tightly connected. Was thinking maybe the solenoid was gone so going to change the starter today. Anyone know if maybe the battery drain issue was because of the starter as well? Any thoughts? Hoping to try and solve both problems if possible.

·
Redneck Yankee
2,509 Posts
The easiest way to tell what the problem is, is find a DC ammeter, clamp on will work the best. Hook it up to the battery and see what the drain is. Then start pulling fuses. When the current stops, you found your problem system. Trouble shoot from there.

A clamp on will just clamp around the battery lead. If it's not a clamp on, you'll need to disconnect the battery and hook up the meter in series with the battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.