DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 Grand Caravan Sport will intermittently have the low fuel gong go off and the fuel gauge needle will jump while driving. Doesn't seem to matter whether straight and level or turning. Could this be the PCB again like the dead gauge syndrome or the fuel tank sending unit? How much trouble is it to change the sending unit? Thanks.

· Registered
473 Posts
The fuel gauge sender is billed at .8 hours so it should not be too hard. It is located at the tank.

· Registered
291 Posts
Fuel Gauge

I have a '96 3.3 liter and the sender is co-located with the fuel pump, I decided to replace the fuel pump assembly so I would not have to do this again if the fuel pump went south. This operation takes time, I had my car up on jacks, put a sheet of plywood on the floor jack foot, cranked the jack up to put pressure on the fuel tank and then detached the holding straps, I then slowly let the tank down just enough so that I could reach on top of the tank and get to the locking ring on the pump and using a strap wrench I unlocked the fuel pump locking ring. You will need to detach the fuel lines from the filter (squeeze together clips in the line as well as detach the electrical connector on the top of the pump, caution, there is a red, horse shoe shaped locking clip that needs to be backed out so the electrical connector can be removed). After the locking ring is unscrewed the pump comes straight up and out and the new one goes in. Installation after that is the reverse of getting to the pump. I would guess it took me a couple of hours so if you are going to do it, be sure you have enough time. This project cured my erratic fuel gauge and all has been well for over 50,000 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.