DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, and thanks for looking. I've got a '98 Ram 1500 2wd 3.9V6. I bought the truck two years ago for a work/trash/backup truck and it was in need of repair then. Was told it needed a Crank Sensor, and that it needed to come from Mopar cause the aftermarket sensors were trash. Was also told had already been replaced with an aftermarket sensors and that it only lasted a week. Was also told that the cam sensor had been replaced. Sooo, I bought an aftermarket sensor, and it lasted about a month, they were right. So I bit the bullet and bought another one from Mopar and that one lasted about 1500 miles, I rarely drive this truck. Put another aftermarket sensor in due to low funds and didn't last two days.
The truck runs really, really well when it is right. When it starts to fail you'll go to pull away from a stop and it will sharply hesitate and pop almost like a backfire. Then it may run great for a couple days, but you know the end is near. It eventually gets to where it pops and sputters when pulling from a stop and won't take fuel at all, just spitting, misfiring, and no power. When it gets to that point it will also do it at highway speeds. However, if you replace the crank sensor, it's back to running like new.
What could be causing it to eat crank sensors? I'm on my third, needing a fourth, and it had gone out before that. It just doesn't make sense for it to run do good, then very quickly go to s**t. I really like this old truck and would love to get it running right. Thanks in advance for suggestions...

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Ok, so 50 people have viewed this so far, and not one reply.
And the 50 people are not registered uses that can reply. Have you addresed the plenum gasket issue? That's what sounds like the problem is. Crank sensor failure will usually not allow the motor to run at all. You can put it on a scanner that reads live data and see if indeed the crank sensor is not working correctly.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Any engine code? What's the mileage? Possible excess play in distributor? Clean and test body/ frame/ engine electrical grounds, they can raise hell.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Are the old ones getting tore up or damaged? Manual or automatic? Can you test it with an ohm meter for resistance? I tore up one when I changed from auto to manual. I shimmed the auto one. It worked for a while, then the flywheel bolts took it out. at least it's not a GM product,,,

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
bet its a plug wire issue! go ahead bet me money it isn't? anybody?
let me explain.
best wires ive ever had lasted 2 years. event the average quality wires last 2yrs. the wires short out on the block. the insulation fails. it seems to me you got interference from a bleeding plug wire causing false signals in the crank sensor harness.
do a cap rotor button and wire tune up kit from summit brand. double check the dizzy arbor has no lift or wiggle play in the rotary bearing. wrap the crank sensor wire in ele tape or reinstall the oe 3/8ths loom back on it. and away we go!
next time it starts to accelerate pop and sputter, try relocating the wires away from the sensor harness and do another ignition tune up.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
you might want to re-evaluate your spark plugs while your at it.
how long has it been since an ignition tune up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts