DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 durango will chugg and shake in my cruising gear. if the rpms are down and i try to give the tiniest gas it will shake and chugg until i let off the gas, or give it more gas to make it shift. This only happens at 45 and over and it doesnt seem to be that bad if i am driving 60+ because the rpms are up higher. Hopefuly someone can help me

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
You didn't happen to lower it, did you? It sounds just like a pinion angle issue. If not, maybe u-joints?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didnt lower it. when it chuggs, it's almost like its not getting enough gas, and it's only when It's in the top gear and the rpms are down. U joints would be constant, correct?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Correction: A "chugg" could be engine, a "shake" could be driveline (or induced by a "chugg?"). Crap, who knows without driving it? Maybe one of our mechanic experts will chime in...

PS: Pinion angle and u-joints can be most noticable under the conditions you describe.

·
Registered
827 Posts
two things come to mind............

tps dropping out at just off idle(about 1 volt) it's the most commonly used spot so it burns out/wears out there first ussually. voltage can be graphed to watch for drop outs or if it's cheap enough for you, change it.

second. secondary ignition. a 98 d should/could be in need of a tune up. plugs wires cap rotor. if they are original wires they 're due to be changes. if plug gaps are wide they're due for a change. may be missfiring but not enough to set p0300 codes( not 20% of ignition cycles). a scan tool can be used. watch missfire monitors at light cruise.

just a couple of thoughts

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
WarrensD said:
Correction: A "chugg" could be engine, a "shake" could be driveline (or induced by a "chugg?"). Crap, who knows without driving it? Maybe one of our mechanic experts will chime in...

PS: Pinion angle and u-joints can be most noticable under the conditions you describe.
I think that the "gripe" sound in my D is coming from the passenger's side seat. Still trying to identify the "scream" sound coming from behind my while driving. Could be the kids, but not too sure.

LMAO

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
JP, you KILL me! No wonder you're trying to trade that ex-wife in...LMAO

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this same problem...any luck with what the issue is. The engine chugs, shakes, shudders at 40mph and above (it's the worst between 40 - 50mph). Also the check engine light is on...does this have anything to do with the "oil sludge" curse?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have no idea what it is? Like you said it is the worst around 40-50 MPH.
Also my check engine light is on aswell. How is your shifting? mine seams very confused!!!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
OK...You've got codes. NOW we're getting somewhere. What are the codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have any codes. Its a 2000 and you have to get a read out to find them you cant do it yourself. Unless you know a way to do it yourself. Someone said try the "turn on off 3 times) doesnt work. Let me know

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do a search about getting the codes. It has been discussed a few times here. Autozone will get you the codes for free.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
OK...if you have an engine light lit, you have codes. If it's a 2000, the "key trick" will work. To be clear: Turn the key to the "on" position (not accessory, not start), then off, then on, then off, then on. Watch the odometer window for the code(s).

Or...go to Autozone like DL suggested.

Either way, codes will help us help you.

PS: If you fill out your profile or do a brief signature, we won't have to play 20 questions every time.

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
stderaps said:
I'm sorry it is not a 2000 it is a 98

He corrected himself.

gotta have the codes to help ya.

Like Warren said...fill out the sig with your information please :secret2:

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Uhh I'm gonna guess to see how my guessing is:

Governor solenoid or shift solenoid

Need codes... wonder what they'll say! Oh the suspense!

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
I bet it is a tranny issue, but where are the codes???

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Oh F-me! CODES!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.