DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hey and start off with a little project I just finished. New to the forum and lookin' for any advise, comments or wisecracks about my install.

This is the link to my install of a Paxton Supercharger on a 98 Durango 5.9

300zxclub Same name look for threads started by user rockchucker

Wow I can't even post links...

I can't post pics here either.....Hmmmmm...

Paxton designed this system to work with a bone stock setup. We are only getting 2 psi of boost due to the headers on the rig. Tomorrow is the dyno then we will know for sure. I think the headers are way more free-flow than the stock so there is no (or little) back pressure. This just makes the system flow too fast to create high boost. Don't get me wrong it is running great on 2 psi. With a change of a pulley I can turn it up. So it will be within parameters with the headers. They just put a "safe" pulley on for the stockers as they will produce more boost due to the restrictive exhaust. So I haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg with this setup!

I will keep posting as I go as far as the dyno and rest of the setup.

I have never dealt with a supercharger...EVER. So I thought the only way to go is to jump in with both feet. I thought it turned out pretty good.

· Registered
281 Posts
you NEED to get those links on here haha..AND YOU NEED to show pictures AND YOU NEED to tell me all about it!!! :D I was looking for some kits but shit..didnt know anyone that did it yet.

keep us updated!

· Registered
3,712 Posts
There have been a few Durango and a lot of Dak people who have superchargers.

· Platinum 2K R/T
4,042 Posts
you should be able to post links and photos after 5 posts or so. I'm interested in a ProCharger setup for my D but have put it off due to cost. It's not just the charger that costs money, it's the transmission upgrade, better brakes etc that add up. It's an inter-cooled system and runs 8-9psi for a 55-60% estimated HP gain. 2psi of boost seems relatively low, but I suppose that would be safe to run if you have no other upgrades.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the install manual showed the recirc valve in BACKWARDS!!!!!!! So naturally that is how I put it in. Dumba$$e$. Anyway I will try to post links again. I just don't want to be the newbie posting a bunch of useless crap just so I can post links.

Admin? If you could please make it so I can post pictures and links to information regarding the complete install of a Paxton Supercharger for a 98 Durango 5.9.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it is seeing about 3 psi now and is running a little better. The dyno shop told me they had the adapters for the dynapack dyno. well they did not. It is the same adapter as the Viper hub. So no dyno runs....Yet.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still nothing at 5 posts.

Is there a limit as to how many pics can be in a single post? This install is very pic heavy. They are not links to pics they are IMG codes. WTF?

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Under the hood before any modifications. K&N intake, Jet chip, headers, and exhaust.

Battery out. Fan and shroud removed. New alternator. Relocated A/C dryer. Crank pulley installed.

New alternator. Supercharger bracket installed. New OEM tensioner for original serpentine setup.

Minor adjustments had to be made for the 3 1/2 body lift.

Coil relocated and new bracket installed.

New serpentine belt. Supercharger clearance test...It fits!

A little more persuasion for the inner fender.

Plenum. Hard pipe. Couplers. Air filter and intake tube. Oil feed. Oil drain.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

Idler pulley. Tensioner. Serpentine belt for supercharger. OEM thermal clutch fan.

Extra fuel injectors. Fuel line to fuel rail.

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Paxton injector controller.

Vortech MSD Ignition/Boost control.

Relocation of stock Air Temp Sensor. PCV hose relocated. Vacuum lines hooked up. Compressor bypass installed.

Fabbed up a mounting plate for the new auxiliary Fuel pump.

Installed fuel pump and fuel lines to and from the regulator and to the fuel rail.

Removed recently installed coil. Fabbed bracket for new MSD Blaster SS.

New OEM plugs, wires, cap and rotor installed.

EVERY connector in the engine bay was disconnected, checked for corrosion and synthetic silicone (dielectric grease) applied before reconnection. All connections made by me were protected by the same means. Yes, even the crimp on and butt connectors.

Gauges.

Wideband A/F ratio gauge.

O2 sensor itself.

Exhaust was taken off. Taken to a shop to have the A/F bung welded in.

Fuel pressure gauge.

Fuel pressure sending unit in the new fuel rail.

Boooooooost gauge!

MAP (Manifold absolute pressure) Sensor.

EGT (Exhaust gas temperature) or pyrometer.

EGT Thermocouple.

A/F gauge and EGT gauge.(The bung was not installed so this wont work until dyno day!)

Fuel pressure.

Boost / vacuum.

New Flex-a-lite fan.

Fan accessories.

Removal of the OEM clutch fan......AGAIN!

Rewired fan with loop so wires can't go anywhere.

Bracket #1 with wire loop.

Bracket #2.

Bracket #3.

Bracket #4.

Bracket #1.

Bracket #2 and #4.

Bracket #3.

Fan sensor and relay and bracket.

Fan temp sensor.

Fan control mounted.

Battery back in.

Tagged into A/C so fan kicks on when A/C compressor comes on.

All wires got wrapped with electrical tape and silicone.

Wanna hear it start????????????????????????????????

Priming supercharger.

Filling supercharger.

So the deal was that I had the coil wires from the MSD boost timing master hooked up backwards. 1st time wouldn't fire. Fixed it. Then we tried and it fired right up but with a miss. Shut it down immediately. My buddy, dude in the video, crossed 2 plug wires while changing wires. Changed them back. Fired right up. We let it warm up for about 15-20 minutes to make sure everything was kosher. This is the video of a start after it had been warmed up to operating temp. This was with the OEM clutch fan on the engine. I just took the fan off and replaced it with the electric fan last night. So you will hear some fan noise but it still sounds cool.
After dyno tuning on Tuesday I will post some more vids of the beast.

Drum roll....................................................................................

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.